Originally Posted By: Tracker64

ah ow. I didn't know there was a screw in there. I don't recall seeing anything on the end of mine for except a electrical plug. Maybe a rubber cover, but then again, I could be wrong. Still getting to know the car.

I was just turning the whole solenoid. Ugh!!
I unplugged mine to test it. I have voltage to it, but it doesn't work. I will try and do what you just said though. I had no idea there was a screw inside that solenoid.

I'm not sure anyone knew about that. I saw the 425rpm base idle speed on my tune up decal and asked how you set that on the forum. No one who responded knew how to set that, and my Chilton manual didn't have clear instructions on that. IntegratedJ78 tinkered and discovered how to set it, and it made a big difference for startup for him (he has a Rochester 2GC with an adapter on it now).

Like I said in the other thread, hold the solenoid still with a 9/16" wrench. Use your 1/8" Allen wrench (I just noticed I said Phillips head above just now) and turn the hex screw in all the way. Then disconnect the solenoid wire, and then back out the hex screw until you get the base idle you want. Reconnect the wire and recheck your initial idle speed. Hopefully that helps and you don't need to get another carb.

I don't have a new Imagr account set up yet, otherwise I would post a pic of the end of the solenoid so you can see the screw inside the end of it.

Last edited by Lifeguard; 08/04/17 05:11 AM.