Originally Posted By: stock49
The '14' prefix indicates that the truck was assembled in Baltimore - the 'F' indicates a June build. The fact that the VIN is intact on the truck and matches the Title creates an unsolvable puzzle. Why did someone go to the trouble to transfer the engine serial number from a '42 216 to a circa '56 235?

Good question, I was thinking maybe someone put the head on an old block, but you dispel that in your last comment about bolt patterns.

The block cannot be original to truck - even with consistent serial numbers.

Nor the head. (aren't I smart? blush)

We know this to be true because a 3836848 head has 18 head bolts. Blocks from the earlier '37 to '53 design had just 15 head bolts. There is no interchange.

Yes, it's puzzling.

However, it seems that whoever did the engine swap knew a bit about the inline 6, and the reason I say that is because they knew which vintage to pick for the replacement. I was first wondering if the engine could have been from a Corvette or other car, and would that make it different...I need to wire wheel some of the engine possibly. I've got some small brass wire wheels that will fit in a Dremel, that might let me put it on a collet extension and get into those tight areas. A die grinder might, but that's pretty tight behind the exhaust and such.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup