Originally Posted By: DoubleDingo
Lee Vining is insane for gas prices!

dingo,

That reminded me that out along 395 between Lee Vining and Mammoth I had my 911 Targa with the pedal to the metal pegged on 135 mph. 3 of us were out on a drive to Mammoth. We were flying past people doing 80 like they were standing still. That's probably the fastest I've driven any of my cars. The spec sheet on my car says 145 mph, but I had the top off and that may have had some to do with it.

Originally Posted By: Whitedog
I never knew California gas prices varied that much from the rest of the country.

AFAIK, they're some of the worst in the country. L.A. pay a lot for gas also, and probably has the worst traffic in California. 405/101 is one of the worst areas. But they have more people buying gas, so why do they pay more? Arguably, they pollute more, but who charges on air quality? Like I said in my near vicinity I see a range of about $0.50/gallon between lower priced gas (Valero, Rotten Robbie, World, et al) and what I call Premium gas (Chevron, Shell, 76, et al). Then another $0.50/gallon to get about 3 hours out, to like Fresno. That is about the same that beater pays in NV.

But back to the connection. You mentioned a simple hose T type connection where you could flip between 2 tanks, and beater also mentioned such.

What is the switch-over-valve that is in the diagram I posted up in the 2nd post? If you look at the flow, it basically has 2 tanks feeding through the same carb to the engine. Both tanks actually feed through the switch-over-valve. In the instructions it states when it gets power to the switch-over-valve, it changes the flow over to the auxiliary tank, otherwise the main tank is used. In the diagram it clearly shows both tanks feeding into the SOV and then into the fuel pump. Why would that be needed in that case?

I don't understand that piece. I think I've seen brass fittings that have a lever valve on it being used to redirect 2 gas lines on a truck in the past, although not certain now...but that seems to be what both you and beater are saying. If that is true, when would a switch-over-valve be needed? Other than not allowing the fuel pump to suck gas from that tank also...but if you have the lever valve it couldn't know, it just sucks...(literally).

In my case I'm going to use the electric pumps, but I guess I could have added a valve on the floor of the cab to facilitate that with hose if I was to keep the mechanical fuel pump.

Originally Posted By: Whitedog
My daily driver has a 36 gallon tank.

I will just briefly point out your hypocrisy in having a 36 gallon tank on your daily driver...certainly you can understand the value in having the extra fuel... smirk

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup