Originally Posted By: Hillbilly
I plan to run a stock 3/4 Radiator. I will probably only run a restrictor instead of a thermostat unless it runs way to cool.

If it turns out that you need a partial continuous flow to avoid the thermostat cycling too quickly – a small hose by-pass loop (like on the BBC) or a couple of small holes in the thermostat flange should do the trick.

It’s counter intuitive – but an engine without a thermostat will not run cooler. The coolant needs to spend time in the radiator in order for heat to dissipate.

Originally Posted By: Hillbilly
There is honestly more oil to coolant contact in the head and lifter area than there is in the bottom of the cylinders.

This is true. And the concentration of heat up top is what causes the thermostat to open. But when it does open the coolant in the radiator (if it has spent enough time there) will be significantly cooler then what is in the bottom of the block. This sets up a convention effect wherein the incoming coolant falls into the bottom of the block and the pump is moving the hottest fluids out through the thermostat until it closes.

I personally have no experience with partially filled blocks - but it eliminates this convection zone and reduces the amount of coolant in the system. I would expect to have to compensate for this in some way.