Originally Posted By: floaterboy
I have a Chevy Inline 6 with casting # 3788378. All of the charts I looked at say that this is a 292. It definitely is not. The side covers are 4", the motor mounts are not staggered, and the fuel pump location is wrong as well. Are all of the charts wrong or was this motor stamped incorrectly?

Thanks!

This particular casting number is on my bugaboo list. My 50th edition Hollander Interchange shows this casting/identification number in two places: Hollander #521 – a mid-60’s Chevy 230 & Hollander #522C – a late-60’s Chevy/GMC 292. Neither of these comport with the Chevrolet Master Parts Catalog which is where this number was ultimately assigned (before anything was cast or cataloged.) The GM Parts Wiki has quite a few of the Parts Master Catalogs online (though they are a pain in the neck to navigate). Here is the 0.033 Partial Engine listing from October of ’62 - Master Parts Catalog . Oddly the 194 is not cataloged in this October 30, 1962 printing – perhaps it is in a Chevy II supplement (more to come). And look closely at the casting numbers for the then new ‘63 230 (3788406) and 292 (3789404). Both are higher sequentially then 3788378 – which suggests that this casting number predates the 230 and 292 - leaving the 194. But I have yet to find a solid reference. The Hollander references are clearly wrong – but it is a manual dedicated interchange not necessarily identification.

regards,
stock49