Print Thread
Rate Thread
#84810 03/18/15 09:41 PM
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
So I have a 1955 3100 with a 235. Recently I have been reading about ZDDP additive and its use with flat tappet lifters/cam. My question is since the 235 had solid lifters with a manual transmission (which is what I have) would the ZDDP additive be useful for this engine? The one I found is the Valvoline vr1 sae 30 oil. Or does it not even matter what oil I use. Thanks
Tate

Last edited by comicaltatertot; 03/18/15 09:44 PM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Tate, The short answer is Valvoline Racing oil still has ZDDP and one bottle of STP will treat 5 quarts of oil. For more opinions do a quick search for "zinc" at the upper right of this page and pick through the old threads that come up.
Also this VR1

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
Yes on the STP. I have been adding one bottle with each oil change for a few years now and have not had any problems. I use synthetic oil, 10W-30, in all of the flat tappet engines I have. Oil change at 3000 to 5000 miles.

frank

Crew: 608 AA/GL and The Flying Seven.
C
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
C
Ok cool I will look it up just needed somewhere to start and get just a bit of info. Thanks for the help

F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
I do not recommend adding additives to fully formulated engine oils. OEM-style flat-tappet valve trains only require around 1200 ppm of phosphorus (the anti-wear component of ZDDP). You're much better off getting an oil that already has the right amount of phosphorus. The latest API CK-4 heavy duty engine oils have enough ZDDP as well as detergents to keep your engine clean.

STP is a poor way of adding ZDDP as it has less than 800 ppm of phosphorus and gooey polymers. See HAMB - STP Discussion.

See the following articles for more information:
Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair and other Engines
Engine Wear
Heavy Duty Engine Oils

1965 Barracuda, 225 slant six
Rods & Relics - Fort Erie, ON
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Thanks for the tip. If it's on the HAMB it must be true. I'll dump my STP stock tomorrow. laugh

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
T
Contributor
Contributor
T
I use Greased Lightening or Lucas additives in my GMC 305 V6. Truth is liked mentioned....best oils you can run are those already formulated with the right amount of zinc. I will be running Joe Gibbs Straight 30 in my 292 when I run it. But for my 305 v6 I run napa synthetic 10w-30 with greased lightening or Lucas. Been fine.

Last edited by TJ's Chevy; 02/17/17 03:55 PM.

1966 C10 292/tko600 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=596643
1964 C20 292/sm420
TJ's Chevy #91442 02/19/17 02:26 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: TJ's Chevy
....best oils you can run are those already formulated with the right amount of zinc. . . .

A formula is just a list of additives placed into base stock after refining. There is nothing special about zinc provided by the refiner versus zinc added to the crank case.

I find the debates over at: Bob is the Oil Guy instructive when to comes oil myths and legends.

When it comes to the need for zinc - the mid 2000s API spec simply doesn't provide enough of it. 600ppm is considered minimum for a flat tappet cam. But from what I have gleaned from research - one needs to start with 1400ppm to still have 600 parts left at the end of the oil change interval. And one needs even more zinc if the valve-spring/lifter-foot pressures are greater then stock.

One should also keep in mind why the zinc/phosphorus was 'engineered' out of the formulation in the first place - deleterious effects on catalytic converter efficiency.

Moreover, when it comes to an engine without full flow filtration - detergents are not your friend - as they are designed to suspend dirt so that it is captured by a filter. Absent a filter one needs non-detergent oil that will deposit dirt in the pan prior to it entering the sump pickup.

I will be running TSC Traveller straight 20 (mineral oil) with ZDDPplus additive. I assembled the engine using their Zpaste product on the valve train. First fire-up will take place this spring.

fraso #91444 02/20/17 01:28 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: fraso
I do not recommend adding additives to fully formulated engine oils. OEM-style flat-tappet valve trains only require around 1200 ppm of phosphorus (the anti-wear component of ZDDP). You're much better off getting an oil that already has the right amount of phosphorus. The latest API CK-4 heavy duty engine oils have enough ZDDP as well as detergents to keep your engine clean.

One more bump on this thread - CK-4/CJ-4 are diesel oil specifications - they get around the reduced ZDDP regs because such engines don't run a catalyst.

What I find most curious about this 'formulation' concept is that it appears that the additive manufacturers (Lubrizol, Rhein Chemie) appear to be doing all of the engineering whereas the oil companies are simply buying and blending in additives.

Lubrizol sells at least 7 different formulations of ZDDP:
Tri-Iso Tryline LLC whereas RC is selling less-costly substitutes based on ZINC-DI.

None of these additive packages appear to be directly available to consumers.

stock49 #91445 02/20/17 03:13 PM
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
Originally Posted By: stock49
Moreover, when it comes to an engine without full flow filtration - detergents are not your friend - as they are designed to suspend dirt so that it is captured by a filter. Absent a filter one needs non-detergent oil that will deposit dirt in the pan prior to it entering the sump pickup.

Detergent oil will keep your engine cleaner by keeping sludge from coating the engine. See BITOG: How does Detergents and Dispersant's work in oil?

Originally Posted By: "Bob is the Oil Guy"
Detergents serve two principal functions.

First, they lift any deposits from the surfaces from the surfaces of the engine to which they adhere to and then chemically combine to form a barrier film, which keeps the deposits from coming out of suspension and coagulating. Detergents form two kinds of barrier films. On small particles, (generally less than 0.02 microns in size), detergents form an absorbed film which slows down coagulation of the particles. On much larger particles, (ranging from 0.5 to 1.5 microns in size), detergents cause the particle surfaces to acquire an electrical charge of the same sign so they can repel each other.

Secondly, detergents neutralize any acids formed by the combustion of the fuel by chemically reacting with the acids in order to form harmless neutralized chemicals.

Dispersants are polar additives that are used to disperse sludge and soot particles for the purpose of preventing agglomeration, settling and deposits. Dispersant's envelops particles and keep them finely divided. Dispersant's are polymeric and ashless compounds. These compounds are based on long chain hydrocarbons, which are acidified and then neutralized with a compound containing basic nitrogen.

See Selection of the Right Motor Oil for the Corvair and other Engines (Bottom Line Recommendation 10)
Originally Posted By: "Widman"
Forget the myth that you can’t put high detergent oils in older engines or engines that have been using poor quality oil. I do it every day! 50% of this market is API SF or lower, frequently without thermostats. They are full of sludge. Some drain plugs come out looking like a cork, with an inch or so of thick sludge on the end. No matter what the engine, I put in a 10W-30 high detergent CI-4 oil and instruct the customer to come back when it thickens up, or the following week if he doesn’t want to check it himself. Once it no longer thickens up quickly we move on to 15W-40 and add a 1200 mile engine cleaner. At the end of that cycle we move to whatever oil the engine should have.

fraso #91446 02/20/17 05:40 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I agree that older engines (with filters) can use these newer diesel formulations.

But my 216 has no filter - so I don't want to pump suspended dirt through the mains and rods. I want it to fall into the pan where regular oil changes will prevent sludge build up.

A wise old man once told me "the best oil you can use in your hobby car is 'clean' oil." If you are going to change often one doesn't need to pay for 'long/extended life' formulations. Traveller SAE 20 and SAE 30 can be had for $2.5 a quart (in the two gallon jug).

They also carry a CJ-4 grade for 3 bucks a quart:
TractorSupplyCorp

When my car was running in stock trim I would fill it with SAE 20 in the late fall before the snow season. This would allow me to drive on nice dry days (in the winter) and the car would be ready to go in the spring. When summer approached (and temperatures rose) I would drain and switch to SAE 30. I suspect my service interval was between 500 and 700 miles.

Based on my research API SB (for pre-1951 engines) is nothing but mineral oil and ZDDP. An obsolete oil for an obsolete engine.

F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
It is not clear to me how "dirt" would not become re-suspended in the oil every time the engine starts up. If the "dirt" does settle in the pan, it is also not clear to me how it would be dislodged when the oil is drained. However, to each his own.

I would suggest that you have a look at this 2004 report by the Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers. Although the report is applicable to modern engines, sludge build-up should be worse for older engines without positive crankcase ventilation systems.
Impact of Low Quality Oils on Engine Wear and Sludge Deposits

fraso #91453 02/21/17 10:49 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Thanks for the presentation. It is a good read. What is interesting to me is the 216 hour test that was aborted at 168 hours due to sludge build up - this is right to my point. At 60mph that's over 10,000 miles without an oil change. At 35mph it's the better part of 6000 miles.

What I struggle with in this debate is coming up with 'best' oil for a filter-less, modified, flat-tappet antique engine - as well as the proper service interval for it when installed in a hobby car.

There's an author in the UK that is an interesting read on the topic:
Car Bibles in particular the comment: "As I touched upon above, oils with a CG and higher rating typically don't contain enough ZDDP, and the replacement friction modifiers don't work in highly loaded valve trains (generally older engines especially those with 2V design). If you try to compensate by adding a ZDDP additive into a newer oil it still might not work because of interactions with other additives in the oil."

This is what has me circling back to the idea of buying an economical API SA base stock and adding just the right amount of ZDDP needed for the valve train (not to mention the anti-oxidant properties). Essentially a home blended API SB oil.

With very frequent oil changes the dirt deposited in the pan will be the first to drain off when the plug is pulled. Long before it can turn to sludge.

PS. Love your website on the Slant Six. The practical experimentation with carburetors is spot on.

stock49 #91455 02/21/17 11:26 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
And one last comment about the use of S versus C rated oils in hobby cars. The so called Service rated oils are engineered with a whole lot of 'usage' variables in mind - including short trips (with incomplete heating to less then normal operating temperatures), start-stop traffic, highway runs and an over-riding expectation that the crankcase will spend many more hours sitting with the engine off versus the hours running at optimal operating temperature - with the service interval measured by the odometer and/or a calendar. Whereas the so called Commercial rated oils are engineered around engines that are rarely shut off (delivery vehicles, cabs, cop cars, trucks etc) - with the service interval measured by an hour-meter.

A hobby car fits neither profile. But it would seem to be closer to the S than the C in terms of usage.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Good read going on here guy's.

Question, since we know that filtered oil is the way to go. Why not add a filtered circuit on the side of pan. A simple DC powered pump that sucks from pan and pushes thru a filter back into the pan?
Just a quick thought, did no research.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: tlowe #1716
Why not add a filtered circuit on the side of pan. A simple DC powered pump that sucks from pan and pushes thru a filter back into the pan?

1) Lack of real estate (pretty tight quarters all the way around).

2) Looks. The pump and modern spin-on filter don't really belong under the hood of an early 50's era hot rod. Not to mention the hydraulic lines are kinda ugly (at least in my eyes).

3) $$ I looked at electric dry-sump pumps and peripherals for turbo oiling (over coffee this morning). One can buy a lot of oil changes for the cost . . .

J
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
J
Posing another view on the whole ZDDP push. For those with generous amounts of reading time. Make sure to check out the list.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

As a matter of fact he recently updated the blog concerning oil change intervals.

Last edited by Juicetone; 03/07/17 01:57 AM.
Juicetone #91526 03/07/17 08:13 PM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: Juicetone
Posing another view on the whole ZDDP push.

That blog is a good read. His testing approach is similar to what was done in the OZ magazine Street Commodores

The problem with this 1 dimensional type testing is that it evaluates just one property - shear stability. And as you can see from the numbers in the Nightingale article the PSI estimates/calculations seem to vary based on the test apparatus. The highest value reported at rat540 is ~136,000 - the lowest ~47,000 whereas the Nightingale tests reported as high as ~295,000 and as low as ~1500 . . .

Moreover this type of testing has been placed in perspective on several forums online - including hot rod, enthusiast, and in this case an engineering site:
ENG-TIPS

The best performing oils under this kind of shear stability 'benchmark' testing would be gear-box oils - the last thing one would want to put in an engine crank-case.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 337 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available