Hello all! I am new to inliners and so far have really enjoyed reading all the posts from other member; there are very wise and experienced builders here! My current project is a '71 Nova which will have a turbo'd chevy straight six as the heart of the classic. My Nova will be a hot street/strip application run on pump gas (91 octane) for street cruisin, and race fuel for when we pump up the boost for occasional visits to the strip (to see what she's capable of)! I have three main questions that would be great if they were answered, and could give me direction and a goal to where we're headed in our exciting project!

1.) The current debate of my dad and I is which motor to build (either the proven 292 or the Vortec 4200). There's no replacement for displacement (obviously the 292 reigns champion here) but the Vortec 4200 has 20 yrs worth of newer technologies and efficiencies (all aluminum block & head, DOHC, 4 valves per cyclinder, SEFI, VVT, 12 port crossflow head, etc). My dad (mobile mechanic for over 25 yrs) has heard of head issues with the Vortec 4200, and hasn't that motor apart to see how it functions; obviously this is his main area of concern (pistons breaking valves I believe). The main area of concern for the 292 that both of us found was the extensive machining and engine mods that must be done to get it ready for power (Leo's Power Manual). Any insight/advice/recommendations on which motor would be the best to build, a powerful and reliable motor is desired (obviously lol). I was wondering what a round abouts cost estimate would be to prep and machine the 292 for a turbo'd application?

2.) As we all know, inline six performance parts are somewhat limited and quite expensive...any round about cost estimates for what I could expect to spend on the motor (either 292 or Vortec 4200)? The machining and engine prep work for the 292 has ben concerned!

3.) What kind of power could I expect to make from these motors? When we first decided to build a turbo'd six instead of the countless SB and BB chevy's out there I was hoping for ~300-350+HP and ~350-400+TQ. After hours of reading and researching others' builds and potential power outputs of these motors, my excitement (and expectations) grew! What kind of HP and TQ numbers could an application like mine put out to the wheels? If I could make ~400-500+HP and ~500-600TQ I'd be happier than when my dad first gave me the car!!!

I realize these questions have countless variables associated with them, however I just looking for quality advice/insight/recommendations for the build. Any info related to the 3 main questions would be appreciated more than you know! I think its awesome that inliner builders are so willing to share what they've learned over the years and all their secrets! My dad met the owner of the dragster on the cover of Leo's Power Manual and he gave all kinds of insight and info to my dad, I wish I was with him that weekend! Anyways, thanks for your help!

"If you're gunna do something, do it to the best of your ability...or else what's the point?"