It has been a while since my last input.

I am the proud owner of a 1940 Chevy Special Deluxe Coupe since 1990. I love working on it but lately it is wearing me out. Unfortunately 8 plus years fighting Parkinson's disease is taking its toll. Any help would be appreciated with my electrial problems.

I had to replace the starter and the ignition switch because the car would not start reliably. The car has a GMC 302 engine and a HEI ditributor and a 95 amp. alternator. Under the dash board is a rat's nest of wires for the radio, air conditioning, directional lights and windshild wipers along with the pimary electrical wiring for the key switch and an electric fuel pump.

The problem is the starter works long enough for the engine to fire up momenteraly but then dies. People have said it's a lack of fuel, but the tank is full and the pump puts out a good stream when I tested it. I pulled off a spark plug wire and inserted a nail to see if it was firing properly. It fired maybe 8 to 10 times and then stopped matching the engine performance. It appers that the problem is in the HEI distributer or in the wireing feeding power to it.

What do you think?

Thanks, Frank Hainey (RADAR)

FranK Hainey