logo
12 Port News - Features
12 Port History
Casting Numbers
Online Store
Tech Tips
Become a Member
Thread Like Summary
Beater of the Pack, CNC-Dude #5585, Conrad1468, DavidBraley, DoubleDingo, Eoats, stock49, tlowe #1716, TraditionalToolworks, Twisted6
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Been pretty busy in the shop with this whole Covid crap going on. Engines getting rebuilt, parts being made and so on. Will start posing pics of things going on in the shop.
One project going on. Got a local college kid that lost his internship to covid and was needing work. So I have him and a local HS kid tearing down inventoried core engines. To date they have 56 tore down. The parts are getting separated and arranged in category's. Makes it easy to use them.
Here they are ready for a days work. Took 3 weeks to get 56 tore down. about 55 to go. This pic represents 52 engines worth of pistons.

Liked Replies
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Sent this 12 Port head out for heat treating. It is a raw casting from One of the Lands Down Under. Will get started on it soon.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Attached Images
4 members like this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Working on the next group of heads. There are 3 more on another stand. Need a longer set of rails to work up these heads.
First step is cleaning
2nd Mag the decks and chambers for cracks
3 pressure check
4 mark each head for problems ( ie bad bolt holes ect)
5 install guides
6 machine for positive seals
7 machine exh seats
8 machine intake and exh seat (roughed)
9 unshroud valve bowls, port, cut bolt boss for lumps
10 install lumps
11 final valve job
12 deck intake/ exh flange and deck of head
13 final clean
14 assemble
Sometimes there are more steps, it just depends on the head.

Ran into one that was severely overheated. No telling how deep those cracks are.

EDIT does anybody really read these updates?

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Attached Images
3 members like this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Have most of the parts/ engines moved into the new building. This is allowing the expansion of the machine shop. Having a forklift is a must! Might be the largest inline 6 Chevy parts offering in the world.
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Attached Images
2 members like this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Have worked through all those heads. Pics are example of a head with beehive springs , 1.94/1.6 and lump kit. They are now assembled and on the website. Also just received another batch of PES intakes. Got valve covers to pickup next. My foundry is rocking!
Attached Images
2 members like this
by mdonohue05
mdonohue05
I read every one that you post and enjoy every one that you post so thanks for taking the time to do that!
2 members like this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Progression of forklifts at my shop. First one was over 20 years ago and was a 1990's unit ,pretty used up then. Was still a good workhorse. Second one was a rebuilt 2004 Daewoo, very dependable and did all I needed. Current one should last me a LONG time. Thanks to Curt Lowe (brother) at Onesource Handling for keeping me going.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Blocks are now going thru the CNC. Boring and decking. Crack checking is all done. Next will be honing, 2 kinds. Allign honing the mains and finishing the bores.
1 member likes this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Line honing a Chevy inline 6 block. It is a relatively easy process. With the right tools.
1 member likes this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Here is a tool we needed in the shop. When Chevy put straight 6 194-230-250 in ChevyII Nova's. The block was drilled in a very specific location to match the front sump oil pan. We made a drill jig to aid in this feat. The drilled hole is on a angle in 2 planes. Very hard to do with a hand drill. This jig takes all the guess out. X marks the spot drilled. Available on the site as a rental.

Attached Images
1 member likes this
by Twisted6
Twisted6
And you/And Others wonder Why I don't or won't advertise In the Inliners I have been making these plates for over 15yrs,
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Here is what is going on in shop today. We rework the factory flywheels. Bake, blast, remove gear, grind, install gear and rebalance to under 1 gram. Most shops wont do this.
Lumps being machined in CNC also.
The shop expansion is nearly complete. Insulated and interior tin installed. Wiring done also. Overhead hoist is next and then move the parts in.

Attached Images
1 member likes this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Heads lined up to go though the CNC . We deck them on 2 sides. intake/ exhaust surface and the Head/deck surface. Next they are cleaned, assembled and QA tested for proper seal. Also have a bunch of PES intakes done now too.

Attached Images
1 member likes this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Made a needed part today. Offy and Clifford intakes use a adapter to bolt on a Holley carb. These adapters only allow the carb to be bolted on sideways or 90 degrees to the engine.
The adaptor made here allows the carb to be turned either way. Lots of chips!
Some edges look bad, need to order larger stock next time.
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by stock49
stock49
Originally Posted by tlowe #1716

Each and every one without fail.
1 member likes this
by DoubleDingo
DoubleDingo
Yes Tom, keep the updates coming. It's cool to see all the work you're doing, and parts that are now available.
1 member likes this
by CNC-Dude #5585
CNC-Dude #5585
Originally Posted by stock49
Originally Posted by tlowe #1716

Each and every one without fail.

No body comes here anymore like they used to....Beater, myself, Twisted 6 and a few others engage in regular discussions elsewhere. Inliners appears to many to have run its course and is no longer the Inline forum it used to be....

But since you asked I'll give you several reasons from what I have observed and had others tell myself and others privately....

1) Nobody cares what you're doing or has any interest in it....
2) The forum can't have normal discussions without you trying to make it about yourself and trying to sell the OP something in these discussions...others are sick and tired of those discussions turning into that!
3) You don't have the fan base you used to have(if you really ever had one).....
4) The lack of responses and replies to most of your posts in the last few years should have made some of the above reasons #1 through #3 obvious by now.....
5) Most everyone has left the forum to seek other interests and activities....
1 member likes this
by Twisted6
Twisted6
He we go with the political crap my feelings got Hurt. No dang wounder 90% of the advertisers Left here. As well as members in general. I know I'll catch grief over this But Oh well. I'm sure this will be my last comment/s to any topic.
1 member likes this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Something we provide as a service. Doubt anyone else offers this. 292 engines came with a 168 tooth flywheel. Many people want to use them with a 153 tooth flywheel. GM never made such a thing.
We take a 250 flywheel and remachine it to be used on the 292 with dowel pins as required. The 250 has 7/16 bolt holes and 1 dowel pin hole, 292 uses 1/2 bolts and 3 dowel pin holes.
https://www.12bolt.com/.../Flexplate_or_Flywheel...[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by DavidBraley
DavidBraley
Tom,

Nice save on that rusty head! I really appreciate reading your posts and learning from the work you do.

David
1 member likes this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Have a show and tell for you guys. We are working up a group of heads. Some are worse than others. Here is one that had rust issues. The exhaust seats were severely eroded, valves stuck. Once it is chamber worked by hand and decked, it will be ready for action again. These are 1.84/1.6 valve seats. The seats/ chambers are only roughed in in these pics.[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Attached Images
1 member likes this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
I have also installed a DRO , but on a Bridgeport. Well worth doing.
1 member likes this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
We started the shop expansion last year in March. Life threw a big curve ball at me since then. Now getting my feet back under me. The shop expansion is nearly complete. This is the area that holds the majority of inventory, and packing. Also made a impossible to find bolt. Making another casting to include 292 water neck with bypass hose also.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Attached Images
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 224 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available