Online Store
Tech Tips
Become a Member
Thread Like Summary
DoubleDingo
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by TraditionalToolworks
TraditionalToolworks
I picked up a 3-speed transmission, bell housing, clutch, flywheel and open drivetrain from a 1955 Chevy truck.

I have a 1946 truck with the closed torque tube.

Is it possible to use this open driveshaft on my '46 and attach to the carrier, does anyone know? I've read that '55 will do that, but just got the stuff home last night and haven't had time to measure too much stuff.

I'm looking at adapting a T5 into my '46, as I saw this adapter plate that looks like it would work.

https://www.hotrodworks.com/product/1937-1947-chevrolet-pickup-t5-transmission-adapter/

There's a couple places that have those. That is for a torque tube, by the looks of it.

Ideally what I would like to do is be able to replace the ring/pinion in my rear end, adapt the open drivetain to my pumpkin, and use an adapter to use a T5 with the best ratio. The Astro vans had a 0.68 5th gear, but the more common is the S10 which used either 0.72 or 0.73. All of these are pretty close and will get me approx. 30% reduction in RPMs according to my calculations. That's a big drop, like going from 3000 rpm to 2190 rpm using the 0.73 5th gear.

I'm going to try and look at the u-joint back at the pumpkin and try to understand if adapting the '55 is possible. The other end on the T5 will most likely need a spline->u-joint adapter, those are fairly common for about $60.

(pics, cause it happened)

Liked Replies
by TraditionalToolworks
TraditionalToolworks
Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
Dual reservoir masters are a good thing. I've never had a master cylinder fail but a backup is better.

You know, here's the funny thing. I struggle with what I want to get for towing, grasping over a pickup rather than the flatbed I have, but the towing truck always gets down to something I really only need occasionally, I only tow a handful of times a year.

However, as far as having a truck to drive, it seems I keep coming back to my '46. My style is probably not for everyone, but I'm hoping that in the end my '46 will be scooting down the highway with tunes going away in the background...and most of my hauling will be able to go in the back of the '46.

But this drivetrain conversion is going to be key to have the truck I want with my '46. I don't need any other pickups, I have the one I want right here.
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 332 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available