Tech Tips
Become a Member
Thread Like Summary
stock49
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by DavidBraley
DavidBraley
Sorry in advance for the long post.

I'm starting the 292 build process I'm going to use in my 1953 GMC 2-Ton project. I've got some questions I hope are not too silly. I've been searching online and here at Inliners with no clear answers.

The 1965 292 I originally purchased for this big truck project has what I am measuring (with a dial bore gauge) to be cylinders that will not cleanup at 0.060" over. Bad luck.

Good luck though because I found a second 292 out of a 1978 C20 pickup. Even more luck, this second 292 was completely dressed. From air cleaner to oil pan, and water pump to flex plate. Alternator, power steering pump and all the brackets I will eventually need. My original 292 was just a simple long block.

I have discovered something odd about the second engine...

I noticed the harmonic balancer does not look like any 292 balancer I can find. But, it sure looks like a 250 balancer. It occurred to me that this 292 was probably used to replace the original 250 engine in the C20 truck. What they must have done (I'm guessing here...) is they just put the entire face of the 250 onto the front of the 292. They re-used from the 250 the harmonic balancer, water pump, power steering and alternator brackets, etc. From what I can see, everything all fits well. All pulleys line up and belts run true.

This brings me to my first question: Is it safe to use a water pump originally intended for a 250 on a 292? I have learned that some water pumps on these engines are longer. What I don't know is if this 250 pump will safely work with the 292.

My last question is about fuel pumps. I understand that the 250 and 292 use different camshafts and the fuel pump locations are different. Will the same fuel pump work for both engines? I understand that the fuel fitting locations on the pumps might be different. What I'm wanting to know is if the mounting and geometry of the pump arms are the same.

Thanks in advance for your help with this!

David
Liked Replies
by DavidBraley
DavidBraley
Update on my final damper choice:

After researching getting my original harmonic damper rebuilt, I've decided to just purchase the PowerBond PB1026N damper from Summit. Link: 292 Three Groove Damper

The reason for not rebuilding my original is mostly because of cost. With shipping back and forth, it works out to somewhere near 3 times the cost. Plus, buying a damper that is still being manufactured, will hopefully help the person who ends up with this project someday down the road. The new damper came today in the post, and I have to admit, it looks very good.

And now for some pictures thanks to stock49's hard work updating the forum software! My picture taking skills? Maybe not so good. I need to figure out this whole "lighting" thing...:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I have already found the correct alternator pulley to match the new damper belt spacing. I just need to find a dual water pump pulley, and all my original alternator and power steering pump brackets will work! Well, to be more honest, I may need to adjust/shim some things when I get to final assembly. wink

Take care all!

David
Attached Images
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 187 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave
6,788 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available