Tech Tips
Become a Member
Thread Like Summary
littleterry, mdonohue05
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by littleterry
littleterry
Hello everyone.
I am in need of some help, please. I am trying to put a 46-54 270cid GMC motor (according to casting numbers) back together in my sprint car. This motor has been heavily hopped up in the past and so is now far from stock.
I have a new gasket set, but the bores are larger than stock (approx 3.15/16"). The head gasket in the kit I have is too small and overhangs the bores. I am worried about hot spots and detonation with the gasket hanging into the top of the bores.
There is a part number on the old gasket (Felpro 7607), but I cannot find any leads on where I can get one from, nor what I can cross reference it with.
Please can any of you experienced guys give me some guidance on this - I am hoping to get to the beach races with the car in May.
I am in the UK, which makes it even more complicated!
Thank you
LT
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Liked Replies
by Beater of the Pack
Beater of the Pack
Great! I'm sure the 302 gasket is a good choice. It sounds pretty healthy. I like to see it in action!

I think the S after the number means steel and of course HS is Head Set. I've been a way from the counter too long.
2 members like this
by CNC-Dude #5585
CNC-Dude #5585
The 302 does have a 4" bore, so that can help. The head gasket you have is likely for and intended for the much smaller bore GMC engines like the 228 or 248.
1 member likes this
by mdonohue05
mdonohue05
Can you recheck the gasket number. It shoud be stamped somewhere on the gasket.
1 member likes this
by mdonohue05
mdonohue05
I found that number in a 1991 felpro tractor and truck catalog. The version I found was 7607S under the listing of gmc 302 52-59 as a head gasket. The Head Set was listed as HS 7607S.

Whether that number has since been superseded I don�t know.
1 member likes this
by Beater of the Pack
Beater of the Pack
I looked in my old CarQuest book today:
270 '39-'62 #1935S
302 "52-'59 # 3013

I dug through my stash & some old gaskets. These numbers are on the gaskets. Measured with a yardstick.

I have a full 270 set Of Best Gasket for the next time. Head gasket # 595 Bore measured 3/7/8"
Victor 270 # 1653K this is from the label of a full set also that the head gasket is missing. Probably on my pickup. But the label says the Victor number replaces GM number 2135866

I also found two 302 gaskets McCord # 6340 & Victor # 3013 both measured 4 1/8"

I would order the Best Gasket because I think they are still in business and it would be fresh.You have to send ua a video of you racing!
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
1 members (CrabFoam), 247 guests, and 40 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available