Online Store
Tech Tips
Become a Member
Thread Like Summary
theastronaut2276
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by theastronaut2276
theastronaut2276
I'm looking into swapping in a Saginaw four speed from a car (not the truck granny low four speed) into my '66 C10 that has a 250 and three speed on the column. I'm wanting to keep it column shift and add separate cable under the dash for the reverse lever.

What is involved with swapping from a three speed to the four speed? From pics it looks like the four speed has a longer tail shaft, I'm guessing I'll have to shorten the drive shaft? Can the four speed hang from the stock bellhousing or will it need it's own rear crossmember for support? I believe I'll have to lengthen/modify the shift rods, I can weld so that shouldn't be a problem. Anything else to look out for?

The three ring Saginaw ratios from lower powered cars have 3.50, 2.47, 1.65, 1.00 gears compared to the 3 speed's 2.94, 1.68, 1.00. My plan is to swap to 3.08 gears and the overall ratio in first would be the same while dropping about 600 rpm at 75 mph. It has a stock 250 for now but I plan to eventually rebuild the head, add lump ports, an Aussiespeed intake, header, and possibly Holley Sniper and a small turbo.
Liked Replies
by Twisted6
Twisted6
I swapped from a PG to a Sag. 3 speed then to a 4speed, I would have thought the 3speed would have had a Trans tail mount. Unless it was the stubby 3speed. But Yes if should have a tail shaft mount.
1 member likes this
by Beater of the Pack
Beater of the Pack
It probably could hang out there but it is so easy to build or buy a crossmember/mount I'd do it. It will make it stronger. You'll have to modify the shift linkage and shorten the driveshaft if you aren't lucky to find one like I did when I put a Saginaw 4 speed in my '53 pickup. It will bolt up in front.
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 251 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available