Online Store
Tech Tips
Become a Member
Thread Like Summary
Beater of the Pack
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by Stovebolt12
Stovebolt12
Good morning. My son (who is 17) just picked up a 1940 Chevy with what I believe is a 216 Stovebolt to restore. (So happy the young kids are getting into these cars). The casting numbers are 839132 and the stamped numbers on the side of the block left of the distributor are 226930. From everything I have researched and the 2 bolts that hold down the value cover indicates it is a 216 but a friend insists that it is a 235. Can anyone verify what it is from the photos? Also we have the opportunity to pick up a running 250 AND 230 with an automatic transmission. We are thinking of doing a swap because they are more improved engines but wanted to hear other people's opinions.

Any information would be helpful.
Liked Replies
by stock49
stock49
Originally Posted by Stovebolt12
The existing 216 turns over by hand but we haven't tried to start her. I figured for the price of rebuilding the 216 I can get a 230-250 that runs and drives and is ready to go. Regardless we would remove and prep the 216 for storage so he has all the original parts.

Welcome to the forums. If the engine isn't locked up it will probably run. Pull the spark plugs and put a few squirts of oil into each cylinder - and then turn it over by hand. This will work the oil into the rings and clean up any surface rust (if there is any). Let it sit for a couple of days and then turn it over again by hand. Then try firing it up. These engines are work horses. The easiest path forward is to run what's already there.

As for the swap to a 230/250 there is nothing straightforward about it. The fastest way to find posts on these forums is using Google with the site: keyword. Searching "site:inliners.org swapping 216 to 250" will return a good bit of reading. Tweaking the search terms slightly will get you hits on even more posts.

Long story short, the 230/250 is longer then a 216 and uses a different motor mounting approach. It cannot be mated to the stock transmission and drive-line in a passenger car. It will require an open drive-line conversion, a newer transmission, and changes to the transmission cross-member - making it just as difficult to go back to stock. The first year for open drive-line in Chevrolet is '55. A good choice if you can find one.

Beater mentioned the transmission bolt-pattern compatibility - this started in Trucks with the SM420 (top-loaded 4 speed - granny gear). Some guys have 250s cleanly bolted into old 3xxx series Trucks. This gearbox is not an option for a passenger car as the stick is just in the wrong place.

regards,
stock49
1 member likes this
by 41 Coupe
41 Coupe
Stovebolt 1
I don�t mean to belabor the point, but I don�t think you understand what Beater and
Stock49 are trying to tell you. Converting to a 230/250 requires a complete driveline
change, trans, driveshaft and rearend. None of the original components are compatible with the 250.

If keeping the 3 on the tree is a must, you�ll have to use the original trans or use a later model three or four speed, which will require some linkage issues.

If you decide on the 250, using a Th200 or Th350 is the easiest solution.

I completely understand wanting to keep things original, but that requires a decision as to use and drivability. The 216 drivetrain has a 411 rear axle ratio, which makes the
vehicle slow, harder to achieve and maintain highway speeds.

The upgrade will give you the dependability and drivability you�re looking for.

It�s going to cost you $�s either way you go. You and your son need to decide what you
ultimately want from this vehicle.

If you plan to keep the car, making the right decision is critical.

Please keep us informed as to your decision. I have a 41 Coupe.
1 member likes this
by tlowe #1716
tlowe #1716
Oh boy, that is serious rust. It almost looks like the engine was rebuilt and put together , then never ran to coat everything with oil. Then rusted . Finding a decent 235 should be relatively cheap and easy to change out.
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 261 guests, and 33 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available