Tech Tips
Become a Member
Thread Like Summary
Beater of the Pack
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#101195 01/16/2024 7:48 PM
by tom c
tom c
The '62 261 school bus engine in our '40 Chevy sedan still runs great, but the coolant is disappearing. I can not see where it is going, no visable leaks anywhere. I'm worried that it's a head gasket problem. I see no steam out the tailpipe. I'm going to remove the sparkplugs and see if any of them look different. The head gasket is a blue Felpro and has been on the engine less than 10,000 miles. Wish me divine guidance, please.
Liked Replies
#101222 Jan 25th a 01:34 AM
by tom c
tom c
It has been for a few decades now. I rescued the car from a local scrapyard in 1980. I originally installed a V8 & automatic but soon saw the light and installed a '54 235 & stick shift, then swapped in the 261. The car has a 3.08:1 geared 12 bolt rear and Mustang II ifs with GM brake rotors & calipers adapted. We have driven it thousands of miles, including several tips of 500+ miles. Our son & daughter grew up riding in it, being born in 1984 & 1988, so it will remain in the family, probably going to a grandson.
I plan to, probably tomorrow, remove the head and take it to be checked and resurfaced if needed.
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 374 guests, and 37 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available