Become a Member
Thread Like Summary
Twisted6
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#101313 03/20/2024 9:59 PM
by Skulptorchaz
Skulptorchaz
New guy here with a question for ya's.
I'm setting up a 292 with a 700r4 behind it. I want to calculate and install the best rear end gear (presently 4:11). I found a "calculator" so If I know the best RPM I can figure out the best gear, mainly for mileage.
So, what would be the best RPM for a 292, to shoot for, for cruisin about 70 MPH? The engine is basically stock.
I am also trying to figure out the best carb for mileage. Presently, I have a Weber 32/36 DGEV200 12091 ser.430 I am told a Carter YF for a 300 Ford is a good/better choice. I'm just hesitant to go back to a single barrel. (Am I wrong?)
This is all in a '64 GMC van. Driving it, altho a ton of fun, is like pushing a barn door down the road. I know any sort of mileage is a struggle to get but, while I'm setting it up, I'd like to do the best I can.
TIA!!
Chaz
Attached Images
Liked Replies
#101321 Mar 24th a 07:01 PM
by Beater of the Pack
Beater of the Pack
Chaz, I don't get stuff on the road very fast. Keeping stuff on the road keeps me busy along with being the one old man power company, water works, septic service, a two mile road maintenance crew.

Just a hint about the GM TBI the ECM from a 90 degree V6 (4.2) will work on our sixes. The rest if the conversion with junk yard & off the shelf parts is pretty simple. You might have to have someone tweak the ECM for best results. Again this is more from what I read than what I have done other than collect everything. About 16 years ago we put a temporary TBO on the 270 GMC in my pickup for a demo. It was run by a mega squirt unit. I had dome prep to add sensors and places for connections but we had in running in abider 30 minutes.

A couple of 292 mockup pictures with a Firebird turbo thrown in. (the original plan.)
Attached Images
1 member likes this
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 225 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available