Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Moderator: Please move if this isn't the right spot.

I think folks on this forum can provide guidance.

I need to repair 3/8 fuel and 3/16 brake lines on a 98 Honda Civic. I want to buy the equipment to do it right. What sources for flaring tools, fittings, tubing, can someone recommend please. Not interested in cheap. I want the good stuff as I'll use it for other projects too. Thanks.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M

12 port SDS EFI
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I use a kit like this. Easy to use and gets the job done. Even have Jacob do the lines.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SAE-Bubble-ISO-M...ols&vxp=mtr

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I have one like the one listed on Flea Bay. But the high end one Eastwood has Is top of the line. (219. Price tag.) And It can make any flare you can think of. And Is the next one on my list.
I feel it will OUT flare any others out there.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
Contributor
Contributor
The Ebay kit looks nice, but it will have 75% of stuff you will never use. Hope the ones you DO use are high quality. I would happily pay more for LESS if the quality was good.

The Eastwood turret type is the BOMB. I have used it years ago, and it's FAST, and makes BEAUTIFUL flares every time. BUT it has to be mounted on a bench vise, you cannot take it under a car to do on-car repairs.
For that a cheap hand tool would work better.
Maybe get the one from Eastwood. Just a hunch it might be better quality than the Ebay one.

Stay away form the major parts store chains (AutoZone, Advance, pep Boys) their tools are all about the same, and not worth the money. (I have bought numerous kits in a pinch and I work for PB too..)

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
They make hand held hydraulic turret type flaring tools, but those cost even more.

My friend uses one @ his shop. But that is one of his normal jobs to do often, so kinda needs it to work great & easy to use.

If you want I can get the brand & model number.

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Thanks for all the suggestions. I ordered Mastercool 71475 hydraulic flaring set. Will post feedback when I can.

Favorite sources for hard line and fittings? Need metric 10mm nuts and 3/16 hard line for brakes. 5/16 or 3/8 hard line and not sure of the nuts for the fuel line.

Contributor
Contributor
any car part store should carry them. You can buy a big "reel" of hard line. I know for a fact PepBoys has it.

S
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Report: I made replacement lines for the Honda yesterday. My only complaint with the Mastercool setup is the loose parts are tough to handle. But once you get it all in place, the flaring is quick and easy. I recommend.

I think my trouble in the past has been related to stainless lines. Common flaring tools are totally inadequate for SS in my experience. After working with nice soft steel I think I could have done it with lesser tools but I don't regret buying the Mastercool at about $300. It even formed the "push to connect" fuel line too.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 332 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available