Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#86835 08/26/15 01:48 AM
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Hi, another question from my visit with Jim at the machine shop.

As a backdrop, I'm looking for nice performance gain but no plans to race. I'd been planning on a lump-port head, because it seems the thing to do.

Jim thinks that a street machine with headers could use popping up valves one size is all that I need and that I don't need to go the path of lump porting. I don't recall now if he said intake or exhaust or both, but he said something like going from 172 to 182 but not 192. Other guys who work on a variety of older Chevy's, including the president of the local Camaro club, dislike modifications and believe that messing with original is either not necessary or asking for trouble. I think experience shows modifications work out fine if done right.

Jim also prefers to use studs in the engine with bolts to allow for higher torque reducing the risk of head warpage. Thinking about this after the fact, perhaps the studs change to a finer pitch on the nuts to allow tighter torqueing.

Of course, lumps are incompatible with stud bolts.

Since it's time to put up or shut up, what are your thoughts?

Is this a silly question to ask in this forum where everybody lump ports? Should I take this as a hint?

Thanks!
Mark

Mark
'67 Camaro L6-250
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Hey shaw if you go up in valve size i would lump port it gives you a much better short side radius and really helps the air enter the cylinders

My head had some custome devided ports started out with lumps now i'm turboed so the air it just getting forced in there! But i ran arp studs in every hole except the three intake ports where the cM screws are its not so much the torque but the clamping for a stud has and yes the studs are fine thread on the side that doesnot enter the block

Josh
72 gmc lwb air ride 5 speed (soon) turbo 292 II# 6102
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Fir streetability i would lump it ormaybe do that wing rhing thet do in stuchis book

Josh
G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
1) Don't listen to that guy who says stay stock. He probably doesn't own a 250.

2) Lump it, baby! It's a mechanical means to increase flow. I see no downside. In fact I'm surprised the factory never copied the idea and made it standard considering the anemic flow of our heads.

T
Contributor
Contributor
T
People who say the lump ports are a waist of time need to go back to 1st grade and be fired from their job. Anyone can easily see how it makes a difference...just by looking at a stock vs with lump port picture....I mean c'mon! lol Even my machinist had enough brains to see the difference before he even saw it! Lump port that head and put some bigger valves in!!! If your not gonna overbore the engine or raise the compression I'd go no further than 1.86 for the intake valve and even leave the exhaust stock. Have the head shaved a bit for sure for a compression boost.

1966 C10 292/tko600 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=596643
1964 C20 292/sm420
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Alrighty, Lowboygmc, GBauer, TJ's Chevy, thanks for the vote of confidence in sticking with the plan.

The one person who really gave me pause is the president of the NWCC, has an original 230 even with the Rochester carb and powerglide transmission. (It took him a handful of Rochesters to find one that worked well) He races and is usually on the podium with that. Hard to believe that with my worn out engine. There were >100 cars at the All Camaro show. Three were L6's. One was the above, another a stock 250. It seems that if you keep the L6, there's a strong feeling around keeping it stock with stock carb, intake, exhaust. Me, I was teetering on the edge of a V8. These modifications are close enough to stock for me. I think the "keep it stock" sentiment is really the feedback I'm getting.

My other friend with a 250 w/ Holly/Clifford intake/headers runs pretty well. It's good enough, so I'm not likely to go too crazy on the rebuild.

It's time to start buying material. I'll start a complete build thread maybe this weekend.

Thanks again,
Mark

Mark
'67 Camaro L6-250
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
Have fun can't wai. To see how it turns out i recoment getti g leos book on inlines a crap ton of great info for stock and heavly moded engines

Josh
G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
You're following a well worn path.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
For the purist in you, it would be possible to build the engine to run really well and keep the stock look.
Cam, headwork and better compression to start.

Rework a stock intake and exh manifold, use a 292 carb.
I bet a 250 built this way could hit 225 hp and 250-275 tq.

It could be a real sleeper 6 cylinder.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

Contributor
Contributor
For my 2 cents, order of importance.

Lump Ports
Aussie Intake W/ Holley 2 Barrel
1.800 intake 1.600 exhaust valves
Good exhaust
Flat Top pistons
Cut head for compression
Better Cam
Correct Converter (if automatic)

Stop any were down the line. But don't go stock it's a waste of money.

Turbo-6
M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
Originally Posted By: Turbo-6
For my 2 cents, order of importance.

Lump Ports
Aussie Intake W/ Holley 2 Barrel
1.800 intake 1.600 exhaust valves
Good exhaust
Flat Top pistons
Cut head for compression
Better Cam
Correct Converter (if automatic)

Stop any were down the line. But don't go stock it's a waste of money.

X2 pretty much!

MBHD

12 port SDS EFI
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Yeah, I've got that book on order from Amazon! Now that the most basic research and decisions are done, it's time to start the build. So I started a different thread.

Mark

Mark
'67 Camaro L6-250
I
Contributor
Contributor
I
I totally agree with Tom. A lot of things could be done and keep the "stock" look. No one can see a lump ported, big valve milled head. If the cam isn't too wild, that can't be noticed either. Anyone passing by at a car show measure the carb Venturi? I think not. You MIGHT get away with a 292 manifold for the exhaust and still fool most people. Of course a 4bbl is a dead giveaway,just like headers. Some 230s and 250s have the same block casting numbers. 20 extra cubes would help too. Jay 6155

Last edited by intergrated j 78; 08/31/15 08:42 PM.
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
You can see the missing head bolts if lumped. I suppose you could create three plugs with hex heads that look like stock head bolts.

M
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
M
You can bolt in some upper lumps & turn down a head bolt to attach to a upper lump.

I made a stepped aluminum fitting, but you can use just a turned down head bolt instead.

12 port SDS EFI

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available