Rate Thread
#87523 10/31/15 04:51 PM
H
Hzgray Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
Decided to adjust my timing on this nice Saturday morn and realized that the timing mark was way off. The timing mark was visibly slipping when using the timing light.

I’ve attached a photo of the installed damper where you can tell that the inner and outer parts of the damper are no longer flush. The left hand side of the photo is closest to the engine block and you can see the inner ring due to outer ring walking off. This happened w/ ~200 miles on the engine. Glad I noticed it before it went through something - like my face when I was revving up the engine checking total timing with the timing light. The damper had been newly reconditioned before install by a known damper rebuild shop.

Question: If I get this fixed by the company is it inevitable that this will happen again using a stock damper? Engine is a warmed up 292; no drag racing but wind her out now and then.

Thanks

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I would be reluctant to have it repaired again since it failed so soon after being renewed. I would source another one rather than chance this one again.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
T
Contributor
Contributor
T

1966 C10 292/tko600 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=596643
1964 C20 292/sm420
H
Hzgray Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
Thanks for advice and link to replacement. The folks that renewed this one have offered to make it right if I want. Seemed interested in checking it out to see why it failed.

T
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
T
I just installed the same damper from Summit on my 292..It's made in China but the quality looks good...

70 Triumph 650 cc ECTA current record holder
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
I'd send it back and have them check it over. If it is one of the companies that specialize in these like Damper Dude or Damper Doctor I'd trust their work. Stuff happens. I broke two on my 270 before I found that my crappy motor mount was allowing it to hit the frame under torque.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
T
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
T
Original dampers were engineered for a particular engine using a particular rubber harness and weight....What are the odds that any new dampers or rebuilt dampers have anything close to original harmonic dampening characteristics ?

70 Triumph 650 cc ECTA current record holder
H
Hzgray Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
The folks that did the rework encouraged me to send it back for them to examine and repair. Not sure how many inline 6 dampers they have done but said they couldn't remember one of their dampers failing like that. I did tell them it was on a hopped up 292. Seems like they care about their product and view it as a challenge. That appeals to me so I sent it back to them for another try. We'll see what they say.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Good point Tony. Also to consider, because it is a hopped up 292, its demands and needs for a different than stock rubber hardness is highly likely, and that rebuilding it with the same rubber type probably won't last any longer. Chances are that they aren't familiar with anything but OEM style balancers. Even for hot small blocks and big blocks that's ok, but for a 6 cylinder, the dynamics for balancer construction and longevity are much, much different.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Hzgray,
What company did you use? It's nice to hear they will stand behind their product/service.
I am having a heck of a time getting quality dampers to keep instock.
Thinking about sending out all the old originals in my stock to be rebuilt.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

Contributor
Contributor
Is this something I should put on the list to replace "just because"? It looks like the timing position of my spare engine ('78?) is different than my '67. There may be some incompatibility between the crank, balancer and/or the tin.

Mark
'67 Camaro L6-250
H
Hzgray Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
H
Been a little bit since I had my 292 damper slip. Damper Doctor stood behind their product and reworked the damper. I'll keep an eye on it but looks good so far. I have no problem recommending them for those wanting to rebuild their harmonic balancers.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
3 members (Eoats, Beater of the Pack, littlejeep2), 345 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available