Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
I bought a freshly rebuilt 230ci. Built by a race shop and original owner put 4000 miles on it and did a V8 SBC swap about a year ago. I have not run the engine on my run stand yet. Pulled the valve cover and everything is really clean. However, I found a teeny tiny spring broken off of the #6 umbrella seal and other seals are either torn or out of position. See photos.
So I have a list of questions.
1. Why did the seals fail?
2. Should I pull the head?
3. What style seals should I install?
4. The engine builder re-used the old valve springs but used shims. Should I buy new valve springs?
5. Would you test run the engine on the run stand as it is now to test oil pressure? The way things look right now, I plan to install all new seals except maybe the rear main seal and snout seal.

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
It appears that only the exhaust umbrella seals have failed. Curiosity.

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
I just talked to the engine builder in Kansas. Although memory fades after a few years, he thinks this engine had umbrella seals on the exhaust valve stems and positive seals on the intake guides. So my solution will likely be to replace the exhaust seals with either the original O-ring style or get new umbrella seals. I'll leave the intake seals alone. He's pretty certain it has new valve springs. It should be a simple fix. Then I can get on with running the engine in the stand.
Thanks
Jay

Contributor
Contributor
It may have so much lift that the keepers/locks hit the seal and break it. Or the seals should sit deeper on the boss to prevent contact. Installing identical seals at same height will only repeat the damage.

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Originally Posted By: 70Nova
It may have so much lift that the keepers/locks hit the seal and break it. Or the seals should sit deeper on the boss to prevent contact. Installing identical seals at same height will only repeat the damage.

That might be the problem if these were Positive seals. However, I'm pretty sure these are umbrella seals that are mounted on the stem itself.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
What valves were installed in the head, where they SBC or application specific 6 cylinder? As 70Nova said, repeating the same thing over again and expecting a different result won't happen. You need to find out why it failed first, before you replace anything. I would start with removing one of the worst ones and looking at the top of the guide and the bottom of the retainer on that particular one you remove. The type of damage your showing is cause by the seal being pinched or crushed between those parts.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
That would be an awful lot of lift to destroy the seals. Too much, in fact.

Did they install both the seals and the o-rings perhaps? Maybe that might do it.

Also wouldn't you not want the stock valves with umbrella seals? I'm thinking the o-ring groove might be pushing and pulling on the seal lip. Is that a possibility?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: gbauer
That would be an awful lot of lift to destroy the seals. Too much, in fact.

Not really. Several things have to be considered. The style seal with the spring like he has shown actually sits higher on the top of the guide than a plain OEM style umbrella seal does. Second, if the builder used a SBC valve instead of the application specific 6 cylinder valve, he lost additional clearance between the retainer and guide because the SBC valve is shorter than the 6 cylinder valve. So even with a stock cam, either of these two scenarios can/will cause interference between the retainer and guide. The spring is too far away from the seal to be the problem, he should look at the retainer and guide as being the problem. He didn't really give us any details about the valves or sizes, so we need to systematically eliminate these as possible causes before we move to something else as the cause. I've seen this happen many times, so I would start there.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
delete

Last edited by THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER; 12/30/15 01:00 AM.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
One more thing:
If you are not running O-rings on the keeper grooves you can get rid of the metal awning shields under the retainer for a little less mass.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Originally Posted By: CNC-Dude #5585
What valves were installed in the head, where they SBC or application specific 6 cylinder?

The engine builder said the springs were new and the shims were added to make sure there was proper spring height and tension. He said something about grinding the valve seat and that affects things and so the shim was added to give the correct spring height and tension. (If I say anything that sounds like I don't know what I'm talking about, please give me a little grace because I have ZERO background when it comes to engine rebuilding). So if he measured spring tension and height, then I have to believe these are 6 cylinder valves and not SBC valves. The engine was not built for high performance but it might have an RV cam. Does that sound correct?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yes, sounds reasonable. However, the damage to the seal is from an interference issue as I mentioned above. You are at a point where disassembly is required to examine and verify the cause. So choose the worst seal and begin with that. Its possible that the interference between the retainer and guide is enough to actually "shine" these 2 parts as well, so look for tell tale signs of contact between those parts. You may see other evidence of contact once you have them apart.

L
Lugnutz Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
**UPDATE**
I just finished inspecting the valve seals. ALL the red umbrella seals have failed and they were only on the exhaust valves. Looks like they were installed with the upper edge deliberately tucked inside the lower groove of the valve stem and inside the valve cap. Don't ask me how they accomplished that. Doesn't make sense to me.

I have removed the failed exhaust valve umbrella seals and installed the O-ring style.

The intake valves all have positive seals and they look fine but the builder also used the original O-ring seals inside the cap. I've been warned that using both seals would be a problem so I have removed the O-rings on the intake valves and now they just have positive seals.

All the valve guides were machined.
The engine runs fine and has 40 psi oil pressure. Now I must adjust the valve lash after all that work.

Last edited by Lugnutz; 01/19/16 01:02 AM.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available