Rate Thread
#89320 04/18/16 11:17 PM
R
Ronald Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
161 CID Inline six is a Kaiser/Willys but can't get the engine serial # to match any decoder I can find the block stamp is 6P22416 casting # 649656-2 and Date code 0 3 10 or 70
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater

X
Contributor
Contributor
X
Ronald:
What is it you want to know about the engine? It is a Willys / Kaiser F-head 161. It has been modified for the dual side draft carbs. They were made with a single Carter YF in the US. Brazilian models were produced briefly with a twin carb head. Also down draft Carter YF carbs. I'm in the process of making the twin carb mod like the engine in your pics with twin Carter YH carbs. Your motor could be from 1951 (ish) To 1952 (ish) Willys or later Kaiser cars.

Hope this helps
Paul

X
Contributor
Contributor
X
Ronald: also, try www.oldwillysforum.com. They may be able to sort out the numbers.

Paul

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That is a cool looking engine.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
R
Ronald Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
what I am looking to find out is year so I can find the right rebuild parts and what it might have been taken out of ? it is to be reinstalled into a 1952 MG TD the fit is tight but a few mods to engine cowl and it will fit just fine

X
Contributor
Contributor
X
Ronald:
Okay, for rebuild purposes all you need to know is that it's an F-head 161.. For parts, www.walcks4wd.com is your starting point. He has rod and crank bearings. He also has the correct valve guides. He may have rings. In my case I needed .040 rings and could not find them. Got lucky on eBay. If you search at egge.com they show parts but I have not contacted them. They might have things you need. Delta cam in Washington ground my cam and resurfaced the lifters. They were the only ones who knew what the engine was that I found. Their service was great. There was a guy on eBay who did a very nice job rebuilding the Carter YH carbs. He may still be there. Or a man known on the web as carbking. He may be a member here. He has the correct parts for them if you want to do the carbs yourself or he'll rebuild them.
If you take it to a machine shop, make sure you or they know what is available parts wise before they start working on it. Patience will be your friend when doing this engine.

Last edited by Xerxes; 04/19/16 08:27 AM.
X
Contributor
Contributor
X
Oh, and walcks4wd for the gaskets. You might also try www.jeepsterman.com and www.kaiserwillys.com. I've had sometimes good luck and sometimes not so good with them for engine parts. They have the wrong valve guides... Take my word for that.

Keep in mind that your cylinder head has been modified to accept the carbs. You'll have to make a gasket to go between the aluminum plate and the head. None of the suppliers is going to know what you're talking about regarding that.

And Pertronix has a module for the distributor.

There may be folks who are Kaiser car hobbiests who have more info on that engine. Try searching websites along those lines. ( other than kaiserwilkys ) these engines were used more and longer in the Willys 2wd station wagon and sedan deliveries in 1951 and 1952. I've seen them in Henry-J cars and the Willys Aero. They were used in the Kaiser Darrin and perhaps other Kaiser cars briefly before they went to the continental 226.

I'm out of town right now but I'll post pics of the cylinder head mod in progress toward the end of the week.

Last edited by Xerxes; 04/19/16 08:41 AM.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 297 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available