Print Thread
Rate Thread
S
stan z. Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Hey guys! I need some help here. I went to install the oil pressure sending unit on my 292 and it looks as if I need some kind of adapter/extension fitting for it ot work. The problem is the sender is not reaching the hole as it is being held up by side cover. Here is a pic of the problem, and a link to a fix. I am not sure what I am looking at on post 226. Is it an extension or a different sender?
[/URL]
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=457465&page=10

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
Check at Home Depot, Lowe's, or a plumbing supply store in your town. What you need is a brass fitting about 3 to 4" long with male threads on one end and female threads on the other. I think the threads are 1/8" pipe thread, but you can check that by comparing the threads on the sending unit. It would probably be a good idea to take it with you when you're looking for the right kind of fitting.

Formerly known as 64NovaWagon.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I would use steel - I had a brass one fatigue and crack. Fortunately I caught it before it ruined the engine.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
S
stan z. Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
S
Is this how Chevy did it back in the day, with an extension tube? Or did they have a sender that was specific to this engine with a different configuration? Seems odd how close they put it to the dipstick tube as well.
THANKS A BUNCH GUYS!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That sender works fine with stock sheetmetal side covers, the senders weren't designed with thicker finned covers in mind. Also, a lot of people use aftermarket oil pressure gauges that use oil lines instead of that type of sending unit, and those types fit regardless of the covers used.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
G
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
G
My 250 stock sending unit was tiny. It just powered the dummy light.

I've since replaced it with a mechanical gauge. Not ideal (because oil can leak into the cabin) but works very well.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 383 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available