Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Hey folks, I have a problem with idle in gear, or better said dying in gear. the engine is a bone stock 194 six with a rochester BV and Powerglide. I had the carb rebuild, simply to re-gasket it. I had this done before I put the drive shaft in the car so comparing the before and after is difficult. the most notable differences in the rebuilt version of this carb is:
1) If the engine has not run for a day, it takes starting fluid the get it to fire.
2) When the engine is cold it runs about 13 to 1500 rpms on the fast idle cam. I would hate to put it in gear until it warms up.
3) Does not allow starting the engine by bumping the ignition. You must press the accelerator pedal twice before the engine will start even if it has recently run. the untouched version of this carb was a classic bump the key and she purrs after being warmed up.
4) Warmed up it idles about 850 rpms in park.
5) Long warm ups, simply can't drive it cold, it dies in gear
6) After being warmed up, you can't just press the accelerator and go, must micro tap the throttle before pressing the gas any further or the engine dies.
7) Engine has a miss (skip) idling in park, but not in gear or under power.

The starnge part is if you micro tap the throttle in gear it is able to idle at 500 rpms. When you come to a stop sign driving, it will die unless you help it. If it is in gear and you micro tap the throttle it will continue to run steady.

What I've tried to address:
1) vacuum leaks, I'm using soft lead Remflex gasket
a) measured 20 inches at 900 rpms, 14 inches at 500 rpms
2) ignition components, replaced:
a) coil
b) points n condenser
c) rotor button
d) distributor cap
e) plugs
3) Dwell 30 degrees
4) timing 10 degrees base set in gear(vacuum advance disconnected and plugged)
5) mixture set to highest vacuum at idle in gear.

I've had the carb back to the rebuilder and he tested it on a Ford six right in front of me. The Ford 6 idles at 800 rpms smoothly with my carb. Of course they are not able to test in gear.

What would you check or recheck next? thanks for the help.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Since the carb was checked on another engine and seemed to do satisfactory, i'd look at other components in the system that are fuel related such as fuel pump. Have you checked to see what kind of fuel pressure you have and if its steady and not fluctuating. Also, if the vehicle has set for a long time before being run, maybe check to make sure the gas tank is vented and not obstructed.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Thank you for the reply, the fuel tank is vented. I will have to make a fitting to measure the fuel pressure at idle. Under throttle it performs fine.

The carburetor can and has idled the 194 at a steady smooth 500 rpms in gear, but after a long drive it needs help at the traffic light. It's not a problem every single time but enough to establish a pattern. (70 to 80% of the time)

Kind of bit with the idea the the "rebuild" has changed something fundamental. thinking about trying a different BV on the engine.

What are the chances another carburetor will have the same idle problems?

Oh yeah I plugged the PCV to check for excessive vacuum loss, it didn't make a significant difference.

What does it take for an engine to idle comfortably at low rpms?

thanks for the help

T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Update: I waited awhile to be sure of the results

Purchased another BV thru Summit. UREMCO Remanufactured Carburetor part no. 3-3105. Kinda suspicious of internet purchases, of re-man stuff without a conversation. This carb is great looking compared to the twice rebuild original.

ALL problems completely disappeared. engine will crank cold, hot, after setting a week, no stalling at stop signs, bump ignition starts, idles as low as 300 rpms. revs like a performance engine. The 194 behaves as if fuel injected.

Yes I'm speechless with astonishment.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available