Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
B
I have a 1937 GMC Panel Delivery project and I'd like to keep the appearance stock but have a modern, powerful engine and transmission. I've read a lot about the 4.2 Vortec and would like to fit that engine and a manual 5 speed into the truck. Has anyone ever heard of a 4.2 fitting into a 30s era Chevy/GMC? Forum member EFI-DIY was kind enough to give me a couple of measurements and they are encouraging but I need to know for sure prior to buying an engine (EFI-DIY thanks again and please chime in with your thoughts). If the 4.2 doesn't fit then I'll look into the 3.7 I5 which would simplify the manual trans part of the equation. Ultimately I'm thinking of buying a salvage GMC Canyon and use the engine, trans and rear axle, wire harness and what ever else I could use while still keeping everything stock appearing (except of course the engine compartment).

If someone knows of a swap like this working that would be great. Otherwise I'll have to take more measurements or buy a junk block to mock up the swap.

Thanks for any information or thoughts on my plans!

Dave

Dave
E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
the 3.7 never came with a manual, the earlier 3.5 5 cylinder did.

if you can find one - it will simplify the transplant for sure.

look on trailvoy.com - you might find some one with a high mile 4200 engine - for cheap

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 450 guests, and 46 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available