Print Thread
Rate Thread
#94739 11/10/18 06:52 PM
Z
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Z
I've got a 1956 210 with a 235 that has 73000 miles on it. The car is stock with a power glide, 3.55's, 28" tires, single 2" exhaust with a Magnaflow muffler, factory model B carb, road draft tube and stock ignition.

The car runs well being both smooth with acceleration commensurate with how stock it is. There is a whiff of blue smoke on deceleration from the tail pipe. Symptom test sequence: car in park, left foot on gas while looking at the tail pipe, rev it up then shut the throttle and a little puff of blue comes out. It's not mosquito fogger levels of smoke but it's there.

The compression test shows 115PSI on one cylinder, 120 on three more and 125 on the remaining two. It's not using oil (other than what it leaks out) and is not fouling plugs. The breather shows some vapors but it's not excessive. A leak down test has NOT been performed but will be.

The consensus from my mechanic and other trusted sources is that the head could do with a refresh as the guides are likely worn.

Let's assume the machine shop finds no cracks for the purposes of the rest of this discussion. I know that the potential exists but I'm in dream mode for now so humor me.

The question is what kind of mods should I consider having the machine shop do while they have the head? My research suggests that if the exhaust valves are not recessed then hardened valve seats are not needed especially given that this is not a daily driver. If they are recessed then this is a good time to have them installed. The modifier in me wants to have some bowl work done, a good valve job, surface the head only enough to clean it up and have the chambers cleaned up on the exhaust side.

What would you do?

Zeke Fishburn #94740 11/10/18 07:05 PM
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Before you pull the head, try replacing the valve seals. These heads use little rubber rings and truth be told, I have never in 40 years found a 235 where the rings had not already deteriorated and fell apart. It will cost you a little time, a valve spring compressor tool, and some new rings, might just be the lack of rings sucking too much oil past the guides on high vacuum situations.

Last edited by mdonohue05; 11/10/18 07:06 PM.
Zeke Fishburn #94746 11/11/18 07:19 PM
Z
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Z
Thank you for the advice.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 162 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available