Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#96864 04/10/20 01:57 AM
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
I've installed a new Pertronix unit on my 66 Valiant and I'm not getting any spark. I bought it at a swap meet so no warranty, now considering a Mopar electronic unit off a newer car. Is the wiring similar to mu\y stock unit? How about the ballast resistor?

Last edited by jalopy45 #4899; 04/10/20 01:57 AM. Reason: spullin

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Gary, I'm not sure of this but It seems like when I was running Pertronix only pickup that the module would interchange with the standard GM HEI module. I always carried a spare in the glovebox. I have never been left on the side of the road while running points but have called for help several times using Pertronix and Mallory HEI.

In my understanding the ballast resistor sends 12V to the ignition during cranking then falls back to 6-8 volts while running. I don't think an HEI needs it but again not sure. Maybe look on the Pertronix web site.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
HEI needs 12v all the time. For GM anyway.

Last edited by Twisted6; 04/10/20 09:29 PM.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted By: jalopy45 #4899
I've installed a new Pertronix unit on my 66 Valiant and I'm not getting any spark. I bought it at a swap meet so no warranty, now considering a Mopar electronic unit off a newer car. Is the wiring similar to mu\y stock unit? How about the ballast resistor?

Is this an Ignitor or an Ignitor II unit? The original Ignitor would not survive long if the key was left on with the engine not actually running - like during basic key-on electrical testing - or if just left absent minded on :-(

Here's a link to the installation instructions over at MGA Guru it shows the variations in wiring versus stock points.

Also, an interesting overview of a discussion with Pertronix support over at Corvair Center circa '09.

L
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
L
When we converted our points to electronics, we bought the stock Mopar units, both the control and the pickup. It was pretty easy to mount the pickup in the distributors and it worked great. If I was doing it today on the cheap, or a non-performance engine, that's exactly what I'd do. Only has power, ground and two wires to the distributor.

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 332 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available