Print Thread
Rate Thread
#98409 07/27/21 10:09 AM
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Hope this is the right place to talk about my build.
Getting ready to tear down the truck and looking for items to purchase to reassemble. Got some aluminum rims and tires which I didn't realize they were 16" where the old tires are 17". P put the rims on rear and they fit, when on the front, rims hit the steering arm.
I'd like to get rid of the split rims due to it's dangers, thought these aluminum rims would work. I'd have to add spacers and longer studs. Right now I just need decent tires to be able to roll the frame around without having to worry about the rims coming undone when I move the truck around, etc. Kind of like to keep the same rims or at least ones I can add moon caps on it as long as I can trust the split rims.
Also looking for suggestions to what I should upgrade the frame and drivetrain to make it a better driver and try to keep stock as possible. I guess what you don't see in upgrades is fine, just what you see on the outside, etc.
Unsure where to start...
[img:left]https://flic.kr/p/2mdygZc[/img]
[img:left]https://flic.kr/p/2mdFKdD[/img]

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
I'd go with as thin a spacer as I could and longer studs. I don't know of anyone who will service split rims anymore!! I certainly wouldn't and I've done 'em for years!! JUST AIN'T WORTH IT!!

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I have an old trailer with split rims on, and it was hard to find tires for it. I got what I felt was the best tire I could, which was the Deestones. I bought them from Simple Tire.

I bought the tubes from Pete's Tire Barn back east, they had Firestone tubes which I was told are better than the common Carlisle.

That said, it's really hard to get people to work on split-rims, I had to damn near bribe a guy... whistle

Most of the big places in California won't work on them for small guys, so you need to go out towards the agriculture areas where split-rims are common. Coker Tire carries a lot of wheels and knows replacement sizes, why not give them a call?

https://www.cokertire.com/

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I worked in the tire shop at Montgomery Wards when I was in college. When they found out I knew how to safely do split rims I got them all. They got me a couple of short lengths of chain and the use of one of the lifts. I liked it. They never rushed me. I did my '40 3 ton International with 20" splits in my driveway and still have a 16" set for my '53. There are several styles, some better than others. Compared to the speed of modern tire machines it's just not worth it to most shops. Special knowledge and tools are required. No one will mess with rusty old rims. There is danger in all tire mounting. I saw a guy die and his helper badly hurt doing stupid stuff with a rusty old spit.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Tom, you know the guy and his son that ended up putting my tires on the rims showed me what and why people are afraid of the explosions. They didn't use any type of cage, no chains, nothing. The pics I've seen of the explosions look deadly.

He inspected each and every ring that goes on the outside of the split-rim. And I couldn't believe how hard they were beating on the rims, they were pounding the p!$$ out of them with a large sledge and pry bars. The problem he explained is that the rings tend to crack as they get old, and if they have started to crack, that's dangerous. If not, they are held together as designed. Before he put any air in them, he made certain everything was put together properly, split-ring double checked, etc...both him and his son worked the p!$$ out of those tires and rims.

With all that said (aren't I a wordy puke?). split-rims take bias ply tires in all cases, AFAIK, and bias ply are better for trucks and trailers that are not driven regularly as the steel belts in the radials tend to rot/rust when they just sit. If you drive them frequently, no worries, but larger trucks and trailers have a tendency to sit around in one spot for long periods. Many, many, many people will tell you they walked out one day and the radial tire had literally blew apart into shreds, just sitting there.

As a case in point, I don't imagine your drive your 3-ton truck too often, but I could be wrong... whistle

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I sold the "First National" several years ago but I see it a Hot August Nights every year. The family that has it now loves it and I think they drive it quite a bit. We planned to get together for me to give them some history of the truck but it never happened. frown I have years of adventures with that old truck. I bought it from a rancher whose son was the Governor of Nevada at the time. Just to be on that ranch was an adventure. I injured myself there and his other son had to drive me to the hospital. laugh

I never had a rim try to come apart. The guy that got killed was using air pressure to remove the the outer ring on a three piece style we called a California split rim. The outer ring slipped on the rim and was held in place by a lock ring. He got the lock off but the outer would not slide because of dirt and rust. When it did come it took a big hunk of his head with it and his helper's arm. They had brought it to my dad's shop and he told them he didn't have time to clean it up and if they would take it home and clean it up he'd fix it. They rolled it to the gas station next door and grabbed the air hose. Dad started to walk over when it came apart. What a mess! I have respect for all things under pressure & tension. The energy is just waiting.
(Yeah, men of many words) smile

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 07/29/21 01:38 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
The guy that got killed was using air pressure to remove the the outer ring on a three piece style we called a California split rim.

That's what I was told I have on my trailer, California Split-Rims.

After they took the tires off I saw that I was so happy to get new tires, I had no idea the inside tire(s) were so bad. 2 were like this.

TT

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 19 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement