Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Trying to find some rims to replace the split rims. Most of the rims I have tried rubs against the tie rod ends. Found a steel rim that slightly rubs on the wheel weight. Looking for ideas to shorten or replace the steering setup or ???
Rear axle is live axle type.
Getting ready to tear down the truck, wanted to get rid of the split rims as they are old. When moving the truck with the forklift, the tires flex, don't need a rim spring to come flying off.
Like to keep original if possible. Like to put moon caps on it.

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
If the wheel you found just rubs on the wheel weights, change wheel weights to the stick on type used on mag type wheels.They can be placed on the "barrel" part of the wheel instead of on the rim.

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Ron,

Can you post the sizes of your wheels (bolt pattern, size, width) and tires?

That would help to possibly determine what you need.

My experience with split-rims is they are solid unless the ring is cracking. Those rims are heavy duty, and also remember that those tires have tubes inside, so it doesn't rely on the seal like a tubeless tire does. Bias Ply tires as should be on them will last way longer than tubeless radials, especially when sitting for long periods and not being moved...common with big trucks. The nylon inside the tire doesn't rot/rust under normal conditions like a steel belted radial will when just sitting. Radials will explode just sitting as the steel belt rusts and rots away, then BAM! (gone into shreds)

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
The existing tires/rims are 17x7. Going to use the regular steel rims to move truck around while working on it. I'll keep the split rims if they are good and I can find someone to change them out. Makes sense on the bias ply tires as I have been reading that radials don't seem to work well on driving the truck.
Still learning... First project of 3

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: Ron Petersen
The existing tires/rims are 17x7. Going to use the regular steel rims to move truck around while working on it.

Ron,

When you say regular steel rims, do you mean the split rims or do you have another set of tubeless steel rims?

17s could be difficult, but there is probably a solution, I wouldn't expect them to be cheap. If you can find a set of tubeless rims that will fit and a 17x7, that would of course be ideal. However, aren't those 8 lug wheels?

Originally Posted By: Ron Petersen
Still learning... First project of 3

I'm learning also, just trying to share anything I can which might help. Going through similar with my '46 1/2 ton. smile

TT
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Yes, 8 lug wheels. Getting a set of tubless steel rims. Hopefully getting skinnier tires put on it when the guy finds a set. Looks like I can put on hubcaps and maybe use them. Will get pictures when I get them next week.
Wanted to also find out what I should do with the suspension, brakes and steering. Like to keep as original as possible.
Photo of the old wheels.

https://flic.kr/p/2mdD7XR

https://flic.kr/p/2mdBZv6

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Ron,

Yeah, those tires don't look too good, but the wheels should be fine once you clean them.

Looks like a good score! wink

TT

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 19 guests, and 30 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement