Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#100507 11/24/22 01:18 AM
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Went to install a head we had reworked. While putting in the first rocker stud upto TQ, the boss cracked. Studied it and the TQ wrench and saw nothing wrong. Did the second one and had same experience. Decided this head has a weaker cast iron than usual. Here is how I fixed it. Machined the boss's down .300, leaving a .825 boss. Made a press on ring from S7 tool steel. These are 1.200 in diameter. .300 tall. Heated them up and press fit them on. Also installed a timesert repair into the 2 damaged holes. Now they TQ down as needed and the collar clears the pushrods. Painful but works perfectly.

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
I have no training whatsoever as a machinist, and I do not own, nor do I have room for, any machine equipment. So as much as love watching machine work being done, and as much as I think I would enjoy doing some machine work, its just not in the cards for me.

That being said, I very enjoy watching You Tube videos re machine work and learn quite a bit. Your solution to the weak casting I think is terrific and really enjoyed watching the progression of the work.

S
Contributor
Contributor
S
I think this solution should be considered even if the boss is not cracked.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 325 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available