Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
What are the recommended ignition setups for turbo'd straight 6s? I was reading about the Megasquirt 2 and it seems like a good option? That would work with any HEI distributor, correct?

Any help would be appreciated as I want to get this right the 1st time.

I wish Progression Ignition made a distributor for our 6s.

Thanks!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Here is a link to an old long thread about building a turbo TBI 292 with MegaSquirt. I built the MS and got it to start another engine. By the end my lack of computer skills, especially Windows, beat me. Even so there and nuggets scattered through the thread with much help from efi-diy. I doubt if all of links work and pictures have gone away but there may be something helpful left. I never got to done but I still have it all and at this point the plan is a NA "truck" 292 build with GM TBI powered with ECM from a 4.0 V6.

LInk

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Thank you! I worry the same will be for me. I'm going to do a lot of reading and research before I purchase anything.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Like covered in that mess the biggest issue was me trying to learn Windows & working with very little face to face help. I'm sure you will be able to get more help if you need it. There is likely many more people who have had and solved the issues I had. There was a portion of the instructions that provided more information than I needed snd it confused me. Also because I was using a GM harness adapter designed by efi-dyi some of the process was a little different. efi-dyi is very computer & electronic injection savvy. I am so inept he could not simplify it enough. All the acronyms drive me nuts. In the end I was finally getting my head around most of them. I'll have to start over now. laugh

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
Beater .. once I have my shop built this year.. load all the EFI parts and your wife into the truck and come on up here - we'll get it done in a week.... google says its a 18 hour drive.. so 3 easy days and come see some really nice areas on the way.. we're almost due north of you now...
Efi

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
"What are the recommended ignition setups for turbo'd straight 6s? I was reading about the Megasquirt 2 and it seems like a good option? That would work with any HEI distributor, correct?"

Alternative. A mircosquirt (MS) will do what you want and its a sealed unit so it can live under hood on the rad support.

In the HEI dist. lockout the mechanical and vacuum advance. Remove and keep the hei module in the glove box..

Connect the HEI pick up to the VR ignition inputs on the MS. Connect the MS ignition output to an external ignition amplifier of your choice to the "points input" wire on the ignition amplifier.

The reason for this is the MS was not designed to fire a HEI coil, so don't do it.

Install a Inlet air temperature sensor in the air path between the turbo/intercooler and the carb.
Connect the internal MAP sensor to the intake with a hose.

Bonus - if you install a wideband O2 sensor and connect it the the MS - you can then datalog your AFR vs RPM/Boost.

In the MS software you can program in the timing curve and boost retard. It can also do boost control using an external solenoid to the back side of the waste gate.

You could use one of the injector outputs to control a water meth injector variable by boost.

Read the manual how to set the base timing using a timing light/timing tape. Suggest setting it a say 10* BTDC.

Last edited by efi-diy; 01/02/23 03:18 AM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Thank you so much for your knowledge! This may be the best way to go.

Would you give an example of an external ignition amplifier? I've never heard of this.

D
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
D
The 4 pin module in the HEI is an ignition amplifier. If you are running external timing control, you can use the later 7 pin module, mounted remotely, which translates computer signal into 'fire the coil now' and the distributor is pointed at the correct plug. Lock up the distributor advance and let the computer do all the work. I actually have seen an example of notching the the housing to let the 7 pin sit inside.

So, here's my idea. ignoring fueling, how about MS3 running coil near plug (LS coils) using a 58x toothed timing wheel input and a simple cam sensor built out of the distributor?

I don't think micro runs 6 ignition coils unless waste spark.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Originally Posted by efi-diy
Beater .. once I have my shop built this year.. load all the EFI parts and your wife into the truck and come on up here - we'll get it done in a week.... google says its a 18 hour drive.. so 3 easy days and come see some really nice areas on the way.. we're almost due north of you now...
Efi

Sorry I missed that. That might be a fun trip. Other than our honeymoon in Montana over 50 years ago we haven't traveled in that direction. It would be nice to do something with all that stuff.

E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
MSD6

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
B
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
Originally Posted by efi-diy
MSD6

Gotcha! I was overthinking it. I've been looking at the 6aln.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 296 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available