Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
BD1 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
It's winter, and I'm finally getting around to trying a webber 32/36 on the Chevy 153 in my CJ2a. Everything gf I've read says to limit fuel pressure to 3-5 psi for this carb. my mechanical fuel pump puts out 5-7. Is there a simple regulator that I could put in line which doesn't require a return line to the tank, and will work with the mechanical fuel pump?

F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
I'm a big fan of the Malpassi Filter King regulator - I run it on pretty much on everything since decades.

They come with and without filter, also some have a pressure gauge.

Frank

Last edited by FishFry; 01/02/23 02:09 PM.
S
Contributor
Contributor
S
My flathead powered Model A sports an electric pump (5 to7 psi) and I have a regulator dropping the pressure to 2.5 psi for the Ford 94 carbs. Summit and Speedway sell some versions of these regulators along with gauges and fittings. Works great on my setup.

'38 Stude/292
B
BD1 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
So I've looked at these online. Is there any reason that a dead head style would not be a good idea with the mechanical fuel pump, (5-7 psi), on mu 153 ? I really haven't seen any bypass designs that go as low as I need, (3 psi).
FishFry, where are you buying the Malpassis? Most of them that I see for sale are in the UK.

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
I use Holley regulators on both of my Weber equipped engines. Both have mechanical pumps with electric back-up.

Will Willis

F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
Originally Posted by BD1
So I've looked at these online. Is there any reason that a dead head style would not be a good idea with the mechanical fuel pump, (5-7 psi), on mu 153 ? I really haven't seen any bypass designs that go as low as I need, (3 psi).
FishFry, where are you buying the Malpassis? Most of them that I see for sale are in the UK.

They are working just fine with a mechanical pump (when they where developed, all pumps where mechanical anyway) - though I switched to electric last year, I run it on the original pump (261) for 20 years (also on my other cars).

I live in Germany, and since it is a European (Italian) product they are available pretty much everywhere.

Frank

B
BD1 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
will6er,
which Holley regulator are you using? I really need to stay at 3 psi or less. am going to do the "off camber" mod to this weber, but excess fuel pressure can still overcome that when the carb gets tilted over 15 deg or so out of level. The Holleys seem to be about 1/2 the cost of the Malpassis, and they are readily available.

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
I think Edelbrock and others sell an electric pump that operates with the correct psi range for the webber carbs. We used one on my son's Dodge D50.

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Not cheap I know but I had better luck with this regulator then others I had been using for my dual 38mm weber set up. They really do need to be at 3-4 pounds max.

https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/low-pressure-carbureted-regulator/

less expensive regulator

https://www.vintageinlines.com/product-page/weber-fuel-pressure-regulator

and the Redline regulator

https://www.carburetion.com/products/ProductDetails.aspx?Part=31800.050

Last edited by mdonohue05; 01/05/23 10:07 PM.
F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
Originally Posted by mdonohue05
Not cheap I know but I had better luck with this regulator then others I had been using for my dual 38mm weber set up. They really do need to be at 3-4 pounds max.

https://www.vintageinlines.com/product-page/weber-fuel-pressure-regulator

Ha! That "Weber" is actually a rebranded Malpassi Filter King (with a premium price tag).

[Linked Image from timms24.de]

Last edited by FishFry; 01/07/23 10:30 AM.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 300 guests, and 38 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available