Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
radar Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
R
I have just started to put a 200R4 Overdrive automatic transmission in my 40 Chevy. I purchased the transmission from BowTie Overdrives which they are rebuilding. It will be delivered in about 3 weeks. I also bought a transmission adapter form Buffalo which should show up any day now.

I am replacing a Borg Warner 5 speed overdrive that has been in my 40 chevy/GMC 302 for over 15 years. The reason for the switch is I just turned 81 the clutch no fun now.

While waiting for the major parts to arrive I have been looking at how to tie the transmission to the the gas peddle and the Holley carb. There is lots parts designed for the V8/200R4 and I'll have to modify some.

One question I have is: Will a Holley 4 barrel run ok if it is reversed from its normal position on a V8? If it will run ok the carb linkage and throtle cable will be closer to the center of the of the car and the accelerator. The cable has to be a straight to work freely. Has anyone tried this idea. Does this make sence?

Thanks, Frank Hainey (radar)

Contributor
Contributor
When I put my 700r4 in my 53 Chevy (261) I first had a Carter AFB on it and then I put a Holley 600 cfi on it. Both Carbs had to sit sideway or turn 90 degrees to get them both to work. They both worked fine sitting sideways.

A few years back I did the same thing, took out my 5 speed for a 700r4 for the same reason.

Luke Lucas I.I. #516
R
radar Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
R
I have been running a 390 cfm sidewase as well with no problems. But i have not tried using a cable based system like the 200R4 requires. It seems to me the cable would have to snake around a couple of 90 degree curves. If the cable is pointed towards the engine there has to be a sharp turn to the rear befor you hit the rocker cover followed by turn towards the gas pedal and then a final turn where the cable feeds thru the firewall and connects to the gas pedal. I'm wondering how well the cable moves with all those turns?

If the carb is reversed and the cable runs towards the fender there would be more room to make gradual turns towards th firewall and gas pedal.

I was thinking about running the carb in line with the engine but reversed from the normal way. this puts the thr cable running directly towards the firewall and wth a couple of minor bends it will enter firewall. The cable will run freely but I'm not sure about the engine, since the carb is reversed?

Has anyone tried to do this?

FranK Hainey
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Radar
I sent you a PM

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
R
radar Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
R
Thanks Larry for sending photos of your work. The examples are beautiful.

I think my concerns about setting the Holley up like it would be in a typical V8 have been resolved. It loooks strange but it should work.

I am working on the intake manfold now. Hope to have it done this week. I am still waiting for the 200R4 transmission and the adapter and flex plate.

Frank Hainey

FranK Hainey
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Your welcome.

Last edited by Twisted6; 04/28/23 08:25 PM.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E
Hook up a 300 psi pressure gage to the trans pressure port to set the cable up properly. Idle - should be 65-80 psi. WOT should be 150psi ish

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them
R
radar Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
R
Thanks for the tip on pressure testing. I am almost ready to do these tests and talk to Bow Tie Overdrive about my results. I have not started the engine for about 2 months and hope everything works well. I am an old guy (81) who is exhausted from the amount of work involved in this swap from a Borg Warner 5 speed to a 200R4. I should have hired an expert to do the work.

I have run into a snag with my brakes. My current system has the 7/8 in bore master cyl from a 54 Chevy. It drives a large remote slave vacuum booster on the passenger side which has quit working. It drives a single string system with Mustang disks in front and a Ford 9 " with drum brakes in the rear. I have tried to buy a new Remote Booster but can't seem to get them anymore.

Now that my clutch peddle is gone there is room to put in a modern dual string system. They have the brake peddle, vacuum chamber and dual master cylinder tucked under floor board. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks

FranK Hainey
R
radar Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
R
It looks like I put this topic (200R4 Install and Power Brake problems) under the wrong Forum. It really belongs under the Drive Train Forum. So I am shifting
it over now.

FranK Hainey

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 161 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available