Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#100811 05/27/23 03:17 AM
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Hello, new on board here. Got the advice to join from a great local resource, Buffalo when i picked up one of his last remaining Nicson Exhaust Manifolds.

Been working and building cars and bikes pretty much all my life with my old man. Even already did a 235 Full Pressure in a 51 Chevy Coupe we built. I got the itch to finally get my own build in and the old man has a soft spot for 5 window Pickups. A good friend had a great start on a 54 GMC 100 5 Window. Tons of parrs, pretty much everything we needed to get most of it built.

Upon getting it home things started going no so good. He opted to drop the torque tube, who can blame him, and put in a 55T rear end with a Muncie 318. Well neither one was in really good condition so out with that and now has a bullet proof 9� and found and fixed up a low mile T5 to run behind the 248. During winterizing the motor being in a unheated barn, motor ran but had some rod knock, and upon examining the inside found lots of carbon, and some serious wear on the cylinder walls.

So I knew of a 270 locally, and knew it was a low mile rebuild, and i helped personally pull it out of the 2 ton wrecker the shop i help at do a V8 swap. So i made an offer and brought home the 270.

All it really needed was a few gaskets as they probably used 3-4 tubes of RTV squeezed out between layers. So i ordered a Best Gasket Kit off the interwebz and started tearing into it. Pull the valve cover off and the oil pan, and it looked super clean. A bit of oil sludge at the bottom of the pan but i half expected that. Pulled the timing gear cover off and the fiber gear looks brand new, again super happy.

But sadly thats where the good ended. I figured since i had the kit, id pull the cam out and sure enough no gasket or shim under the retainer. Pull the cam out and it looks brand new except for some scratches on the last bearing surface on the cam, then look at the bearing itself and appears ot was beat in with a screwdriver. And i am not talking about to stake it. Deep scratches and divots on the bearing.

So i started pulling rods and main caps. And one after another im finding trash and fod in under the bearings and scratches on the journals. My heart is sinking at this point.

Pull all the pistons out and not a joke pretty much all the ring gaps are dead in line, and the piston skirts are all knurled. And i have a tiny bit of rod slop but not terrible.

All the bores have a pretty good ridge at the top and some fresh honing marks telling me they probably just dingle balled the cylinders tossed some rings (3 out of six had rings out of order to the manual)

Crank has been turned for 10 unders and all bearings are 10 unders

Block is a D Block so it left the factory as a standard rods and mains with a .005 overbore.

The head is a different story. I have some sunk and some protruding valves. And i think it was not touched during rebuild. When i checked vakve lash i found they had set the lash with the motor 180 out. With it 180 out the #1 valves were in rocking position and #6 was tight. With it at TDC Compression #1 was tight. I am surprised how well this motor ran before we pulled it.

So hopefully I can drop the short block off with my local old school machinist. And he gives me good news.

I have a complete 248 for parts as well as another cam, crank and head. All 3 heads are small port. And to my understanding the 248 crank and 270 are the same?

Second part is finding 20 under rods and mains and prob 20 over piston and rings. All mine are flat top and not domed like Egge sells but even then it looked like all they had were standards.

So im stumped and a bit disheartened tonight. And apologies for no pics. Not letting me upload jpeg photos but can supply my Drive album privately if someone wants to see the pics.

Do not want to V8 swap this thing. I know personally what a nightmare it is. Lol. But i look to be heading down a deep rabbit hole getting this thing proper and running strong.

-Dan

Thanks in Advance

1954 GMC 100
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
The 228, 236, & 248 are all 3.8125" stroke
The 256, 270, @ 302 are all 4.000" stroke

1 member likes this: Dans54GMC
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thank you. I was given mis information. So the spare crank and the one in my also bad 248 are no good for me. Glad i joined up on here.

1954 GMC 100
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Using the ID chart i found an few issues?

Block is a 2434003 55-63 270 with side motor mounts
Head is 2194819 55 270
Cam is 2193486 which i had to look elsewhere and is for a 228???
Crank is 2342204 which is a 52-54 302?
Rods are 2341204 late 302
Pistons are 2341506 cant find info

Spare crank 2194570-248
Spare cam- 2193486- early 228

So im guessing my supposedly low mile rebuild is a find anything and make it run rebuild.

Last edited by Dans54GMC; 05/27/23 05:31 PM.

1954 GMC 100
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I have a '57 270in a '53 Chevy pickup (5 window) I originally built it in 1978 I think. So I have the same block & head as you. It seems that the older style (domed) pistons are easier to find now. They sometimes show up on eBay. That would require you to use and earlier domed chamber head.

There were only 4 different heads used for all the GMCs 228-302. #1 had dome chambers and small ports, #2 (H-head) had dome chambers and big ports. #3 was the later 302 with a D shaped chamber and big ports. #4 the ones we have for later 270s with a sorta D chamber and small ports. For a street engine small ports are fine. Bill Fisher recommended small ports for the street.

The rods for all of these engines were the same length and had the same bottom end bore. There was a difference in the size of the notch that held the main bearing insert. There were two piston pin sizes.

The 302 crank should be OK. I'm not sure how many flywheel bolts it has. Early cranks had 4 and racers sometimes drilled 4 more. Later cranks had 6 bolts. This obviously effects flywheel choice. This can be an issue because 6v & 12V starters use a different number teeth in the ring gear. You can run a 6v starter on 12v.

Don't give up! These are good engines and fun to drive. I just got mine back in the road today. I had a fuel pump issue and just stuck an electric pump on it. It has a T5 & Dana 44 limited slip with 3.55 gears. Fenton headers a 4bbl carb and custom ground cam. It will cruse 75 mph all day and get 17+mpg.

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 05/29/23 02:18 AM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I was surprised. Rock Auto has Sealed Precision bearings for the Cam in Babbit, and 10 and 20 unders for rods and mains and rods.

Im down to finding 20 over pistons or bigger. With the ridge it has i dont think 10 over would clean them up.

Pistons i have a flat tops.

Sadly the head needs a full rebuild. Hardened seats and new guides. The guides are trash and out of the 6 exhaust valves i pulled 4 are pretty burned up and all the seats have definitely seen better days, im guessing due to unleaded fuel use.

1954 GMC 100
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yes, my pistons are flat top too. I can not remember how much the head was shaved and I can not find the cam specs. I have all of the paper work around here somewhere. I think I stuck with stock valve size but not sure.

Have the head done. Small block Chevy valves will work. Some use a 0.100 + stem length. 1.87-1.92 intake & 1.60 exhaust. You may have to enlarge the spring seat. The stock stamped steel rockers are plenty strong for the street. LINK

Picture from when I last had mine opened up in 2008. It doesn't look that nice now. frown

Attached Images
100_0272.JPG (86.74 KB, 31 downloads)
100_0315.JPG (100.34 KB, 38 downloads)
100_0314.JPG (104.67 KB, 32 downloads)
Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 05/29/23 05:19 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1 member likes this: Twisted6
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I was hoping for a crossover part like that thanks.

That is another thing i need clarification on is the proper color the motors should be. Mine is bug bombed chevy orange and is promptly flaking off and getting everywhere including inside the motor lol. Leaning on the crimson red but having the side cover and timing cover powder coated in the industrial chrome to match the valve cover.

Also i see you have the same intake the Clifford 6=8, i have a Holley 390 four BBL for mine, but another pic of it mounted sideways. Im running a cable throttle to eliminate a ton of linkages i was given with the truck. But which way is correct for mounting the carb.

Thanks for the info on the valves.

1954 GMC 100
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
When I pulled my 270 from it's original home a '57 GMC 1/2 ton pickup it was orange. A little yellower than Chevy I think. A friend in high school put a junk yard 270 in his '54 Chevy sedan. We raced before he got the hood on it. I was running what I thought was a hot flathead in a '38 Ford coupe. I beat him twice but that long orange valve cover was never out of sight. shocked

Yes Clifford intake but mine in not marked. They were doing some changes when I ordered it. I'm running a 500 Edelbrock sidewise. My cam is Clifford too. I originally had Clifford Viper tube headers and the engine turned higher rpm with them. I use a cable throttle and after having to drive from Reno about 30 miles home over the mountains through Virginia City using the hand throttle late at night I cary a spare cable under the seat. laugh

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 05/30/23 01:32 AM.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Forgot to toss in there i have the 6 bolt crank. In fact all 3 the 270 and both 248 cranks are 6.

Should anyone be on the hunt for 248 stuff let me know. Difficult to ship most lf it but i have zero idea what to do with it now that i know its not compatible.

Need to figure how to measure the cam, i was reading all the cams were the same includes the 228/248/270 possibly even the 302. So maybe i can still run this cam as kts hardly even broken in. Still has the black oxide on many lobes.

So if i keep my bead, hardened seats, sbc chevy valves (go stainless?) in a +.10 stem length. Stuff I can have Buffalo help me with.

So its down to finding oversized pistons and rings, and sent an email to Egge to see if theu have flat tops. Dont want yet another head i cant get rid of lol. If i could find a head for domed pistons.

1954 GMC 100
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
All if the GMCs are good street engines. Bill Fisher really liked the 248 for street builds. I had a 248 in my pickup while I was building the 270 because at the time I could not find a 302. For a driver you would hardly notice the difference. The shorter stroke has some advantages. Someone with an honest sense of how their engine will be used might be interested in your 248 stuff especially if they like turbos or superchargers. smile

There are iron & steel cams that call for different distributer gears. I have a couple of NOS cams. I don't know how to measure them other than lift. I can not remember the details but all the info you need is out there. There is a ton of information in old posts on this site if you can learn to use the search feature here. A lot of it posted here by some of our long gone members who helped develop the performance side of these engines.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Think i am calling it quits on running a Jimmy 6. And even considering aborting and selling the truck as a lot and looking for a driver that i can work on and enjoy. Got thousands in parts I�ve collected including the rebuilt T5. Clifford intake, Buffalos Nicson Manifolds. And the pile of parts i got with it.

Hate being discouraged had my heart set on a semi rowdy 6er, but know when the $$$ start adding up to unrealistic values its time to consider other ideas. Definitely dud not want to go down a SBC route.

Time to clean things up, and back burner things for a while.

1954 GMC 100
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That is too bad. These things aren't for everyone especially as parts get harder to find& pieces go up. Maybe a 250 or 292 would fill your inline 6 yearnings. They are easier to find and parts are available. There is a lot of interchange with small block v8s. Your t5 would likely fit and since you trick in a GMC the engine length is probably OK. There are lots of speed & dress up parts. They are lighter and can make all the power your old pickup would need on the street. There are adapters for 235 valve covers so you can get an older look. Hate to see you give up.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I am honestly surprised at how parts have just dried up. Should of done more research before spending a few grand on fancy parts. 292 sounds interesting. Looking to see what�s available. Im just more sad that this 270 was a bodge job rebuild. It ran so well when it came in, but not much longer sadly. I wanted to keep the foot start (i still can, just a bit of work. Im not throwing in the towel. Jist have to recover financially a bit and try and sell parts, and find something correct for it. Thanks everyone

1954 GMC 100
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Sadly this site is not as active as it once was and not many here are still into the engines Inliners International was built around. There are far more people into these on the H.A.M.B. "LINK" You may find more help there as well as sell or trade your parts if that is what you decide to do. Their search feature is easier to use also. We have a Swap Meet page here if you decide to sell. You can likely sell your 270 stuff of enough to buy 250-292 stuff. Don't overlook the 250 it can be built to at least equal the 270 for less money.

I have gathered the parts for a 292 to replace a worn out 350 in a '68 C20 flatbed. Parts are still available over the counter. Manifolds, headers, cams......are easy to find. I had Crower grind a cam. 12 Bolt Tom can fix you up with all you need. In truth a 292 doesn't need a lot of work to be impressive.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Have a build thread on the HAMB as well. Im LittleDeuceCoupe over there. Been over there for ages. Someone suggested i post here. Lol!

292 does sound interesting.

1954 GMC 100
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I'm Six Ball there. I'll check your build.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Have a line on a 302 locally that is a rebuilt but has sat a while. Supposed to go look tomorrow or this weekend.

1954 GMC 100
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Sounds good. I couldn't find a 302 when I built my 270. I have 2 in the pile now. If you have fun a good running one that is a real cool factor for your build.

Two other guys here that have 250-292 stuff are Twisted 6 & CNC DUDE.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Had another private message off II. Said he used Ford 260 pistons had to push the limits of an over bore to close to a .050 over. He had to have custom little end bushings made though. But they are widely available and are flat tops.

1954 GMC 100
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
More digging 4.8L and 5.3L LS motors 30 overs would be 3.81� which is even better. But again wrist pin is smaller so special bearings would be needed.

1954 GMC 100
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
One advantage the GMC's engines have is that they can take a huge overbore because their cylinders are so thick. So that opens up many more options to switch and swap parts from other brands and makes....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1 member likes this: Beater of the Pack
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
Isn't the GMC compression distance greater than LS?

One reason for thick cylinder walls: few blocks are scrapped because of inaccurate centers. A 1/32" error makes a 2JZ block junk.
As casting techniques improved, thinner walls (SBC, Windsor) saved weight and became safer.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Friend and i built a 22R Turbo years ago using SBC I believe they were 265 pistons as they had a nice relief in the top. To drop compression a bit. Amazing what can be done but that wrist pin size is the killer. And the pin to top size. I found one close from a mopar but would require a 90 over bore. Dont think thats possible.

1954 GMC 100
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Verify on that large of a bore by sonic checking, but many of the GMC 302's have been bored .125" over and are still thick enough to race with high compression....Many Flathead Ford's can withstand 3/16" of an overbore, or .187".
Thankfully, most of the engines of that era are blessed with extremely thick cylinder walls and decks.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
2 members like this: Beater of the Pack, Dans54GMC
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Might have lucked out on keeping the 270 going as a few things on the 248 are pretty bad. Local machinist may know of.someone with parts.

Also in the head are the exhaust valve passage coolant nozzles. Found the good rebuilt head they are missing. How hard is it to remove them in the other two heads I have they have them.

1954 GMC 100
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I didn't know they have them. Ary they military heads?

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Both of my all original small port heads have them but the one thats been rebuilt with bigger valves, hardened seats, dual springs and i think its had some porting done are lacking them. All 3 same casting. I am going to try and remove a set off the spare head. Maybe get a buddy to 3D scan them and i could have repros made via a metal 3D printer ive found that does quality work other than hes in China.

1954 GMC 100
P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
What language is the printer looking for as instructions?
What metal is used, and can it withstand 300 degrees and over 700 psi (the engineers' rule of thumb: peak combustion pressure is roughly 100 times the compression ratio)?

Contributor
Contributor
I am running a 270 bored to 292 in my 50 GMC with an Oregon Cam Grinders Cam (after Delta in Tacoma screwed up two cams) and flat top pistons with dual Nicson intake and exhaust . . . A833 OD tranny with 4-on-the-tree and 12 bolt posi @ 3.73 from a 69 C10 out back. It is a sweet setup and has no problem keeping up with traffic. Lots of build info on oldgmctruck.com

The closest original GMC engine color I have found is Ford red Duplicolor DE1605

I have lots of engine parts for 228, 248, 270, and 302 inlines along with a number of decent complete engines.

These guys are local to me and do great work. https://www.oregoncamshaft.com/

I used larger small block valves and big port intake with runner adapters, modified S10 HEI ignition and full flow oil filter. Also adapted a dual chamber master cylinder . . . a fun project that kept me busy for a couple of years of weekends and some evenings.

Last edited by 50 GMC; 06/22/23 02:14 PM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That sounds like a great build. I'd like to see more about it. The master cylinder swap is interesting too.

Contributor
Contributor
Master cylinder hack . . . https://goo.gl/photos/mQtgMXMvzWGR4e247

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Thanks!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 325 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available