Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
ROARRR Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
I have an alloy SCHAFER flywheel with 168 teeth (?) not the smaller diameter, My stomp starter pinion is too large to work being intended for the small flywheel, is it possible to get a stomp starter pinion for the big flywheel? It needs to fit my starter shaft D of .465". Since Chev and GMC used the stomp starters from early through 1959 the shafts should be the same throughout~~?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
What engine are you using? I would think all the truck starters '59 and older would be for a 168 tooth flywheel. Maybe not?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
R
ROARRR Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
So far, I've been unable to find anyone that knows of or has a smaller pinion for the 168 for the stomp starter, No problem with the solinoid starters One was/is on the engine now and works great but this is for a 1940 FIA 4.5Litre GP car which I want to keep every bolt (except the insides) absolutely 1940+/-ish and in agreement with the FIA and SCCA so it can race without hassles. It was made of the best american production engine at that time the GMC! it has a GM C/r 4 speed solid front and rear axles with half elyptics, I 've the body off for painting the chassis and other minor attentions, I'll send pictures when back together in a week or two.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
One thing to remember is that a 6v starter will work in 12v especially on a car that starts quickly and isn't a daily driver. The pinion gear might also interchange. As said before I think all of these engines (228-302) came with big flywheels (4 & 6 bolt patterns) the change was a difference in teeth between 6 & 12 volt. You could change the ring gear on the flywheel. You could on a stock flywheel not sure about yours. The flywheel themselves are the same size.

I remember when I first put the 270 in my '53 pickup it was still 6v. The engine was from a 12v '57 pickup. It would start when gold. Warm it would start when pushed or rolled down a hill. laugh A six volt starter would not mesh. Maybe that is what you are running into. I have some old parts books maybe I can find a part number for you. It won't happen today.

Is this it? Starter Drive Link

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 07/01/23 04:44 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
R
ROARRR Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Thanks for the info! the 153 flywhel is smaller in D, when you look in the starter hole with the 153, you only see the teeth, with the 168 you see the flywheel also, All those drives look bigger like the 153 uses the vair might work-- I'll have to look!

My guess is that when Chev/GMC went to the bigger engines, they went to a bigger flywheel AND clutch for the potential Hp, of courswe you can get a 9 1/2" or 10" clutch that will handle 300 HP but the standard one might not!

I have a Schaffer allow wheel that I want to use AND the stocker on the engine IS the 168 probably because a clutch will experience heavy use! I have a 54 dump with probably a 260 I'll look to verify it has a stomper.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Lets go back to the beginning of this:

"I have an alloy SCHAFER flywheel with 168 teeth (?) not the smaller diameter, My stomp starter pinion is too large to work being intended for the small flywheel, is it possible to get a stomp starter pinion for the big flywheel? It needs to fit my starter shaft D of .465". Since Chev and GMC used the stomp starters from early through 1959 the shafts should be the same throughout~~?"

ALL of the Chevy and GMC sixes before '63 used big 14" flywheels. Some interchanged, the 4 bolt ones. When GM went to 12v in '56 the number of teeth on the flywheel ring gear and the starter pinion gear changed. There are some 4 bolt flywheels with the 12v ring gear. The ring gears can be changed. 6v Starters can work on 12v with the older 6v ring gears. NONE of the GMC 228 to 302 engines used the small flywheel with the 153 tooth ring gear. These did not come along until '63 and later. They have the same bolt pattern as most Chevy v8s and the later 6 & 4 cylinders (153 to 292). The engines 4,6,8 that use the 153 tooth flywheel have starters that mount with 2 bolts on the lower right side of the block. Some 168 tooth starters mount there too but use different hole patterns from the 153. ALL of the 235 - 261 and earlier as well as ALL of the GMCs have the starter mount on the bell housing and there is no option for smaller flywheels. Even the early GM trucks with v8s did not use the small flywheel until at least '63. If your starter mounts on the bell housing it uses a 14" 168 tooth flywheel. If there is a starter mesh issue it is a 6v -12v ring gear/starter issue. There may be exceptions but I've not run into them.

R
ROARRR Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Thanks for the verification! It seems that there SHOULD be a STOMP starter drive for the chevs and GMC's before THE 60'S, THE STARTER BOLTS ON THE RIGHT SIDE ON THE BELL HOUSING AND THE FLYWHEEL AND RING GEAR IS CLEARLY VISABLE I had a solonoid starter on the engine that worked fine, it has a smaller gear, the one on my stomp starter is bigger so intended for the 153 tooth wheel this all seems backwards to me, I'm taking the large one that is loose to the parts house and see what they think!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
When GM went to 12v in 1955-56 they changed the tooth count on the flywheel from 139 to 168. The flywheel was the same size. Both starters had 9 teeth but were not the same size.

"You can also measure the starter pinion gear which maybe easier, the 168 teeth flywheel starter pinion meaures 1" and the 139 tooth flywheel starter pinion meaaures 1 1/8" so a bit larger pinion on the 139 teeth flywheel. FYI both starter pinion gears are 9 teeth, the difference is pitch of the pinion teeth."

I think this is it! Bean counters & tooth counters be dammed! laugh

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 07/05/23 01:40 AM.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Any progress here?

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
I have a 12 volt Chevy/GMC starter with a 9 tooth pinion. The starter woks very well. I bought it by mistake. I thought it was a standard starter with a 10 tooth pinion gear. My old GMC engine and flywheel and entire 40 Chevy nearly shook to to pieces when I tried to start it up. Lucky for me I shut it off quickly and nothing was damaged. I still have the starter and would be glad to ship it to you if you can use it. Hope this helps.

FranK Hainey

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available