Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
L
I am interested in building the 4200. The DOHC and 4 valve per cylinder set up is my key interest. I have read through most info here.
I have seen a few pictures of this engine with a belt driven distributor /conventional intake carbs/ ex cam lock out/etc.
My research has turned up Self Racing. But I have seen that he has passed. Does anyone know of anyone first hand experience. I know that most are keeping the electronics /computers.I am looking at staying conventional.A belt driven supercharger is possibly in the works. I built a blown 250 years ago and loved it.
Thanks again for any info.
LMD.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The belt drive setups are made by MSD, not sure how they will interface with the computer though.

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
L
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
L
Don�t want a computer at all. I want to eliminate it all together.
I am looking at putting a conventional ignition and intake on this engine.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
It should be an easy solution for you then. The MSD belt drive distributor is universal, you just need to fab mounts to install it and fab a drive to attach to the front of one of the cams...

After looking around, it seems MSD may have discontinued the 6 cylinder version of their front belt drive distributor. You can however find may other brands, mostly for imports that direct mount to the timing cover or by custom mounts that drive straight off the end of the cam....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
Why bother with a belt drive? Just run the distributor off the end on one of the camshafts. A big Allen bolt in a cam sprocket, and a hex shaft on a 6 cylinder distributor such as an early Toyota Supra would have both centrifugal and vacuum advance, and that would take care of eliminating the electronic spark advance in the process.

Ignorance can be fixed
Stupid is forever

Wag more- - - -bark less!
L
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
L
Just learned that a modified stove bolt ( as in Tom Langdon) distributor has been driven off of the ex cam using the cam sensor hole. Hoping to see talk to the guy in the morning . But as you point out Hotrod Lincoln it should not be to hard. My reasons for looking at the belt has to do with the possibility of a belt drive for my super charger( need to clear it). Not into to turbos. I loved my blown 250. Recently reacquired it . Got some idea flying around in my head.

H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
Is the crankshaft snout strong enough to drive a blower without twisting it off? That was a big problem back when guys were trying to run 6-71 blowers on small block Chevy engines, particularly if the blower speed was faster than the crankshaft. Of course, some sort of half grown mechanical supercharger unit like Ford was running on some of their engines might be OK, but those things are mostly eye candy when used on an engine with any serious displacement.
Jerry

Ignorance can be fixed
Stupid is forever

Wag more- - - -bark less!
E
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
E

Last edited by efi-diy; 12/14/23 02:04 AM.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them

Moderated by  efi-diy, stock49 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 296 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available