Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#101306 03/12/24 04:06 PM
stock49 Online Content OP
1000 Post Club
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club
Watched this over coffee this morning. He takes what most would consider scrap and puts it back to work.

AnilKapoor-onFaceBook

His use of pins seems to be for alignment as his welds seemed to penetrate quite deeply.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

He as quite a few videos on YouTube showing repairs on all sorts cranks - some of the them from huge engines for boats and heavy equipment.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I'm not on facebook so I can not view the video. This is interesting and I have watched many videos of people making repairs that seem amazing by today's replace the part standards. My father was a journeyman machinist, a welder, a well driller, a farmer, and a mechanic. When I was a child I spent a LOT of time with him when doing all of this things. All of this was in rural Texas where replacement parts were often days away and work needed to be done. I never saw him weld a crank shaft but I saw him FIX things in ways that are not the norm today. I wish I had not lost him so soon. Once I herd him tell a customer, "If someone can build that surely to God I can rebuild it!"

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1 member likes this: Twisted6
stock49 Online Content OP
1000 Post Club
OP Online Content
1000 Post Club
Sadly, lots of skills from back in the day are gone forever. I have seen many a thread about the eatliest automatic transmissions that warn - don't take it apart, no one knows how to adjust them. If it still works, flush it and drive it.

No need to login to watch a direct linked video. Just close the login box and it will play.

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
I have seen that video before one heck of a job.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
OK. Thanks I was able to watch it. Not the sterile operating room setting of some machine shops. Certainly not the "pretty" welds showcased in many videos, the grinding was pretty crude both before and after welding. The realignment wasn't really shown except the drilling & pins but the results are what matters. I'd like to see how it worked out. I have no doubt it was put to use. There are tons of videos showing the extreme uses of trucks & all kinds of heavy equipment in other parts of the world and how they are put back together. I watched one with two barefoot middle East men hot riveting a truck frame back together. Amazing things are done where skillful workers are forced to make do with what is at hand. Necessity is a mother!

The guy that built the engine for the Wright Brother's plane carved it out of hunks of metal.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 314 guests, and 51 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available