Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
73super Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
It was a cherry inliner! I hate to see that happen. What size six would a '59 have? Would this be a 235 inline six? Were there any other sixes available in passenger cars at this time? I shed a few tears last night!

Butch W.
'49 Chevy Sedan (stock)
'55 Buick Special
'65 Rambler Classic
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
The 59 would have had a 235 in it. From what I saw that car was also a 3 speed stick as well.
It sure looked like one very nice original Bel Air
that was just crying for some period correct speed equip on the inline and a set of Cragar SS wheels, or a set of 57 Plymouth full hub caps with white walls.

If that had been my car I wouldn't have sold it to him for any amount of money. I personally don't like the type and style of cars he builds, and I'm sure he doesn't like what I do either.
Then again if I was able to play with other people's money, shelling out $25,000 for a near perfect old car to cut up might not bother me either.

Mike G ( 4355 )

Mike G #4355
N
Contributor
Contributor
N
I agree with both of you. A while back Boyd cut up a near perfect approx. 23 T. Boyd literally makes me sick sometimes, OK, most of the time.

Terry/Novaconv
I.I. #3948
C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
What a waste. To each his own, but give me hopped up stock any day.

'49 Chevy 1/2 ton, '56 235, 848 head, Fentons, x-pipe, 1-2bbl H-W.
73super Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I agree with all. A magazine I've been picking up lately is "Low Rider" magazine. Even though I don't care much for the hydraulics and the 13" wheels I really appreciate the detail they put into the classic's. You see a lot of inline classics that are lowriders. The time and detail that they pour into these cars is absolutely amazing. I get some great ideas from looking at these magazines..especially when it comes to detailing an inliner. I love the tricked out stock look or even the frenched stuff, but the Boyd look feels like I'm kind of looking at a car that was designed for only one thing...TV and car shows for the upper crust that don't really appreciate true classic style!

Butch W.
'49 Chevy Sedan (stock)
'55 Buick Special
'65 Rambler Classic
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
I was really ****ed off when I watched the show. The real problem is Boyd's customers. They must have more money than brains. They spent $25K for as nice a 59 as there is to cut up, when they could bought a rust free hulk for under $5K.

Another thing that really stood out on this episode was the cars in the background. All the drama to make delivery is a real farce. Check out the unfinished Hemi 33 Ford and the 63 Vette in the background shots. These were the must be finished, screaming, yelling BS rush jobs from previous shows.

Inliner #1916
73super Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
I like watching the reaction of Mike on the program. He's they guy with the jaw trouble. He get's as ticked off at Boyd as we do I believe. Good to see at least one guy in there that appreciates the classics. As bad as the show is, one can still pickup a tip or two from time to time...but it's rare. I watch for the entertainment value and just have to remind my son that it's TV.. most people don't think or act like this.

Butch W.
'49 Chevy Sedan (stock)
'55 Buick Special
'65 Rambler Classic
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
I've also noticed the low rider crowd doesn't visually abuse the classic old cars. If you want to see a real honest magazine about average people who build their own cars then pick up Old Skool Rodz. It is published every other month.
At first glance you may think it is only about rat rod death traps but you soon notice that isn't the primary focus of the mag.

I have attended a couple of those type meets and I am amazed just how many inline powered old Chevy's and Mopars these folks are doing! The Ford builders lean more to the flathead V8 or later model OHV engine swaps. One very consistant theme at these meets is "avoid Boyd" and some very unprintable slogans about trailer queens and ultra hi dollar cars. The young guys building these cars are at least preserving the ways of the traditional home built hot rod and for that I give them credit and my support. The rod runs ( rumbles as they usually call them ) are a great time with live bands and the chicks aren't hard to look at either! Just don't show up with a hi tech billet box - you'll be instructed to park in the spectators lot!

Mike G ( 4355 )

Mike G #4355
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
I happen to agree with 73 super. Boyd's show is strictly for entertainment. After watching all that crap that goes on there, would you spend $100K+ to have your car done there? I think not.

It's all hype and bogus TV crap. If you believe that Boyd actually paid $25 Grand for a '59 Belair, then I have something for sale for you too.

When I was at the Indy Hotrod nats last month, I was parked next to the RadRides by Troy trailer and talked all weekend with their shop manager, "Moose". He said when "Rides" was filmed at their shop on the Hot '68 Mustang they built, it was all about the "Look" and "Feel" of building a custom type car. They actaully did all of the important stuff off camera. It also was a huge disruption as they had to re-shoot some scences 5 times. He also told me about the "Overhaulin" show. That's a big farce too. The people's car they redo does not take 7 days(More like 30 days) and they have to pay the sales tax on all of the parts used and the labor! He said the cost to the "tricked out customers cars" average between $35K and $50K depending on the overhaul!

RapRap
1940 ChoppedChevyCoupe
In this world as the TV world, nothing is free!

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!
73super Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
Mike G...I agree with you on the Old Skoolz Mag. I wear mine out when I get them. I've got them sitting next to the turlet and those pages are getting mighty worn lemme tell you. I love how they pull together old parts and use what others "toss for the new stuff". Some are not what I would enjoy, but others show a whole lot of creativity and ingenuity. It would drive me crazy not to paint mine however.

Butch W.
'49 Chevy Sedan (stock)
'55 Buick Special
'65 Rambler Classic
C
Contributor
Contributor
C
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mike G:
If you want to see a real honest magazine about average people who build their own cars then pick up Old Skool Rodz.
Mike G ( 4355 )
Is this the magazine you're talking about?
http://www.olskoolrodz.com/

I don't have much use for Boyd either.
Nor Jesse the hatchet James for that matter.

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck
73super Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
That's the magazine. Cracks me up that some guy on Ebay is trying to get like $7.00 a copy. Perhaps not many people know it's out there. Very good magazine (however I do get an overpowering urge to get out my paint gun and paint all that primer out there..what can I say, I have issues).

Kind of disappointed with Jesse too. Wish he would just go back to doing what he does well, making great bikes.

I watched Monster garage turn an old woodie into a 4x4...ugh.. they don't make these anymore! Do this to a new car..better yet.. a rice burner! Then they do a tally at the end of how much they spent to destroy the thing... it's depressing.

Butch W.
'49 Chevy Sedan (stock)
'55 Buick Special
'65 Rambler Classic
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
A light went on as I was re-reading these posts. Most of us seem to agree concerning Mr Boyd and at times we get upset with Mr Jesse too. Outraged might even be the correct word...... BUT.... the show producers have accomplished what they set out to do and that is get us to watch the shows. One old time famous Hollywood legend was quoted as saying about the bad press she used to get: "Well at least they're talking about me".

So gentlemen I think whether we want to admit it or not the fat rat tv producers have drawn us to their shows. Makes me glad there are still reruns of the Three Stooges on other channels.

anacanapana nyuk nyuk nyuk \:D

Mike G ( 4355 )

Mike G #4355
73super Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
They can have all the goofy guys they want working on the cars, they can even have all the TV/Hollywood mumbo jumbo...just please put out some decent cars and stop cutting them up! Is it just me or do all of Boyd's cars kind of look alike? I mean the large Boyd wheels, the slicked down, chopped off, smoothed over blah look just leaves me flat. I love the episode where Mike took 1st place over Boyd in the "show" category. Boyd I think has been doing his style for such a long time that it's all he really knows. Mr. Foose take heed!

Butch W.
'49 Chevy Sedan (stock)
'55 Buick Special
'65 Rambler Classic
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
I've only watched American Hot Rod a couple of times. The tension of course is all built around the impossible schedules, which of course you would think a guy like Boyd could avoid. He must have folks lined up with big checks, willing to wait. I was very disappointed with the show, because I actually like American Chopper even though I'm not into bikes, and was hoping for a similar show on cars. The big differences to me are that: 1) In Chopper, it is a family deal. You can see the family relationships, and when the old man blows up it isn't just business. The folks care about something more than the paycheck. 2) Pauly is a very creative guy, and they spend time showing him struggling with creating something that the customer will be happy writing the big check for. He agonizes over it, and not just the problems of getting stuff to fit together. 3) They also do stuff like the NYFD memorial bike and the Lance Armstrong bike that are connected to the rest of the world, not just eye candy for its own sake.

The Boyd's guys are just there to hammer out another Boydmobile and collect their pay. I remember when some idiot drilled into an intake manifold on an assembled engine to mount a temperature sensor. Let's think a little about metal shavings running through the water pump, boys. But no, the only concern on the show was that the finish on the manifold was marred.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available