Print Thread
Rate Thread
#9800 11/29/05 06:13 PM
D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
iam new to this world of yours. So please forgiv my ignorance. iam building a 34 chevy dirt track car Q1.can anyone help me on information about installing V8 heads on my 292? Q2.should I be looking for a 302 GMC for cubic inches instead of my 292 Im looking for 400 +- HP I want to kick someV8 rear ive already ordered lous book but it wont be here for aweek I cant wait any and all help would be greatly appreciated. If If you would like to see my 55 chevy that I run now, go to www. waynecountyspeedway.com . Hope to hear from you soon, dustbrother.

C
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
C
Welcome Dustbrother!
Stick w/ the Chevy 292 engine.
For info on V-8 head conversion goto
http://www.customdesignperformance.com/leo/leo.html

Ken
www.CustomDesignPerformance.com

Ken Carlson
Owner/Machinist
www.CustomDesignPerformance.com
B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
You might check out the Mike Kirby's website. He does some very interesting things with an aluminum head for the Chev inlines.

http://www.sissellsautomotive.com/

Without knowing what the rules allow it is tough know what kind of information will help. The one thing is a 400hp 292, especially without power adders will be expensive.

Good luck on your 34.

Inliner #1916
M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
You didn't say what class you would be running in.
Different sanctioning bodies have different rules.
Engine make must be same as car make - not necessarily of the same year. That would exclude a Jimmy unless you are running a GMC pick up truck. Factory only cylinder head. That would exclude both the hybrid V8 head and any non GM made head even if it looked like the original. There is a lot to think about for sure. Even if you would be running an open competition class where you can build the motor any way as long as it doesn't exceed xxx cubic inches you will be at a financial disadvantage. Almost any Village Idiot on a budget can get 400 hp out of a SBC V8.
Everyone here who has actually built a hi-po Inline will tell you that to get 400 hp out of a 292 you will spend quite a bit more than the Village Idiot did on his 350 V8. Here is a fact: 3 years ago I built up a very strong 250 Inline street engine. I spent more money just on the head work and valve gear than it cost me to build up a potent 327 V8 from top to bottom.

No one is trying to talk you out of your ideas. We just wnat to make sure you go in with both eyes wide open. And if you do build it I hope you do kick some serious V tails.

Mike G #4355
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Dustbrother,

Listen to what is being said here very closely.
We do not want to discourage you in going with an Inline motor, but it will cost more than a standard track V-8. You will be getting a slight edge in the nostagic-look-at-me category, but all things being equal, the HP, Torque, Cubic Inches will be approximately the same. The Inline might weigh a tad less. Something to think about is the height of the inline vs the v-8. Center of gravity. The RPM's will likely be lower too. Most High Performance engines get the peak Hp and Torque at different RPM's. You can get an inline to rev 6,000-7,000 rpms,(costly) but not as long as a built v-8. Why do you think that nascar runs an all Alum punched out small block? Lightness, and max power at top rpm's. Check the rule book first and then pick your best motor for the purpose.

RapRap
1940 ChoppedChevyCoupe

Loud Pipes Saves Lives!
D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Thanks for the info and the link! It helps me to get a clearer picture of what I'm planning to do. Still plan on shooting for the stars and building the big motor, though. Just want to have something different than everyone else, ya know? Plus, I'm up against my fellow dust brother, Verne and his 400 something cubic inches of V8! He taught me last year that small cubes could win and now I'ts time for me to teach him back! So I'll keep you posted on the progress and undoubtedly will be calling on inliners expertise. Thanks again,
Dust Brothers

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
HELLO DUSTBROTHER
i built a 292 with the help of fellow inliners this summer. 292 bored 0.20 found a set of jahns pistons on ebay, 12-1.comp. sissel head,already had the port work done,i also bought a set of lumps from a inliner and installed them myself. offy 4 br. intake, holley carb, had LAZER CAMS in tenn. grind a cam. balanced it all. they laughted at me when i got to the track. they didnt laught when i left with the money and trophy.this was all v8s on 3/8 mile dirt.

R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
Hello DIRTRACER,

Congratulations for your achievement! It’s an unfair battle though..

C’mon guys, let bring more successful stories like that… they’ll keep us away from the temptation to go back to V-things (undoubtedly better HP/$ ratio).

Keep it INLINE!
Early 173" FED (still motorless)
Ricardo
I.I.# 4784
R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
I guess I've meant THOR58...

Keep it INLINE!
Early 173" FED (still motorless)
Ricardo
I.I.# 4784
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
any thing over 1/4 mi and you dont have much chance the 8's have too much room to run you down.

i have buit some small 8's 327 and 307 and had them do well against the 355.

now for the 6 most tracks dont know what they are looing at so you could move it back more if they say #1 plug has to be at a certen place. th inline is tall so you could lower the motor also move it to the left a little too.

one motor combo to think about would be a 250 with a 4" bore even if you have to sleave it. it would wind up quicker and live longer use a lump ported head.

D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
Thor58 I am very interested in hearing more on your dirt car escapade. Our rules state 3200 pound min with a 4412 500 cfm holley and #1 spark plug even with the ball joint. Now with my 55 we were always a bit haevy but had to much moter (383) chevy our track is a 3/8mi dirt that usualy slcks off. So iam hoping that with a lighter car with a litle less hp i will save a litle in tires and stay at the front. so tel me about yours please (gaer rpms weight carb tires ext...) I spent around 10000 on the 383. Can I do the 6 for tht or less? PS this is the same engine (292) that my dad ran 40 years ago so i want to make him proud thanks again to everyone who has responded I will waiting pacently

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
HI DUSTBROTHER,
your rules are a lot diff. then ours. i run a vintage racer class, 2800# v8, 2600# with a 6 cyl. you say your 55 is heavy,PUT IT ON A DIET.get it do to 3200#.you have to run a 4412. so the key with that is major comp. 15/1. we run 15" wide tires,620 gear,600 holley done buy K.P. JE OR WISECO will do your pistons for 600.00 thats better then the 35 year old heavy slugs i used.thanks ROC.it was fun building the SIX PAC, [i build V-THINGS for a living]please dont ban me for that.LARRY C.

D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
just wondering what kind of rpms I can run with this 292 6cyl? Our normal range for the V8 is 3500 to 6800 rpms. Do I want more or less with the super 6? Is the sissel steel race ready head enough or do I need to go with the aluminum head and is there an intake available for a singel 4 barel carb for the aluminum head? Does aneyone have info on optemum header tube size and lenth? also do I want to run 2 sets of 3 or all into 1 bigger colecter? Iknow Iam kind of all over the place but I havent recieved my book yet and I am hungery for knoledge!!!

B
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
B
Just like any other motor, the cam and related pieces will determine your rpm range. A 292 will turn the kinds of rpm you want; make sure your motor is extremely well balanced and make the internals as light as possible. Just from the weight standpoint, an aluminum head would be nice; check with Kirby for the flow differences and manifold availability.

Inliner #1916
D
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
D
hey gang just an update the 34 292 six project is mooving slowly but still moving ahead been working a ton of ot more engine money !!! i have located a great engin builder who loves to be diferent justwanted to let you know we havent given up or gotten skeerd keep us in mind as we will you

M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
Good to hear. Please keep us posted as you go along with the engine build up and of course when the car hits the track.

Mike G #4355

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available