Rate Thread
#10438 02/26/06 12:31 AM
T
tss3240 Offline OP
Newcomer
OP Offline
Newcomer
T
I am looking for some help on a 1953 Canadian pontiac inline flathead 6. First question is who will have rebuild parts. Second is I would like to hook up an automatic tranny. I can go the route of building an adapter plate but I dont want to reinvent the wheel as they say if something exists, Also which tranny may work the best. I do realize that I will have to change out the torque tube and rearend on this swap. Thanks for the help.

P
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
P
I don't know if your 53 is the same setup as the Canadian 48 I recently worked on. The Canadian 48 Pontiac is just a Chev with a Pontiac engine, grille, trim and dash retrofitted in.

On this 48 Pontiac a Chev 235/261 engine bolted right in and is easier to find parts for and allows several automatic trans options.

D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
about 8 years ago, i rebuilt a pontiac flathead for a friend. i don't know about canada, but NAPA dealers had everything we needed in the states. i've heard that kanter auto parts (catalog available via internet) has parts for even rare vehicles.

that ol' pontiac was a tough engine and if built right, then using modern oils, it should last many years.

you should take photos, then post them when you're finished. good luck!

Lord, let me live long enough to do all the projects I have planned!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 26 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available