Print Thread
Rate Thread
U
usmile4 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
U
The 235 that is going into the 49 chevy is at the shop being worked on so we can rebuild it and get it into the car. This engine, from a 61 truck, was previous rebuilt so this time it is going .060 over so we need to get all new parts. This is our first rebuild so we have zero knowledge of what we need or what is good or at what price, etc.

Here is the list of parts that the engine guy says he would order and charge me around $1000. I don't know if these are quality parts and at a good price.

Silvolite Pistons and Pins .060
Sealed Power Moly Rings
Melling Camshaft
Melling Lifters
Melling Timming Set
Melling Oil Pump
Fel Pro Full Gasket Set
Clevite Intake Valves
Clevite Exhaust Valves
Clevite Valve Springs
Clevite Valve Locks
Speed Pro Intake Valve Guides
Speed Pro Exhaust Valve Guides
Speed Pro Valve Seats
Speed Pro Valve Srpings
US Steel Freeze Plugs

Any and all suggestions are welcome. Also if there are specific parts that you recommend, where can I order them and at what price?

The car will retain the 3 speed and stock drive train for now but eventually will get a T5 and a rear end from an S10 4x4. It will be a driver and a cruiser.

Thanks for the help, Bill

R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
Bill,

You can get a reman engine for a little more. Most companies on the net will give you a 7 year 70,000 mile waranty. S&S in Spokane, WA is a good place to start. Just my two pennies worth.

Aaron
63 C-10 Longbed
292 700r4 373
G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
When I rebuilt my 261, I found the best deal was from Patrick's. If you order enough stuff you should be able to get free shipping also.

A T5 from a 4x4 will have the wrong tail housing on it. You will need to get one from a 2WD.
It's the rearend that you would want from the 4x4 because of its width.

I.I. #3174
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
don't replace the guides. rebuild them with bronze walls that way you will be set up for unleaded gas. the seats if they are not beat out then don't replace them either they don't need it. check around on the valves you mite be able to do better. you did not give a price break down.
as for the checking around. i need an exhaust kit for my 72 truck one place wanted 219.99 the next was 154.99 same part number same manufacture.

U
usmile4 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
U
Reply to Walt, I don't know much history on the engine, I picked it up from a friend and when we got it apart, it had been rebuilt and bored to 40 over before. At first inspection it didn't seem too bad but whe we took it to the engine shop the owner said we needed to have it bored.

Reply to Gearhead, I have the rear end from the 4x4 and will be getting the T5 with the correct tailhousing...I have talked to Patricks and he seems on the up and up. did you get your stuff from Patrick's and is it good stuff?

Reply to Bob308, the guides and seats are made for unleaded.

Thanks for all the help.

G
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
G
I have no complaints about the parts I got from Patrick's. They were all name brand stuff. I got my cam and lifters from them also. I went with dual springs, locks, and keepers from Clifford though. The machine shop took care of the head work for me. In my opinion, hardened seats are optional. I don't use them, I run lead additive for the first few thousand miles until the seats work harden and leave them at that. I'm sure others feel diferently about it...

I.I. #3174
C
Contributor
Contributor
C
There are Chevy V8 exaust valves with the same size as the 235 exhaust valves. I got a set for half the money they charge for 235 valves and have 2 spare ;-)

The only difference is they only have one groove.
Instead of the lousy o-ring valve stem seals you can use the rubber caps of the Ford (there goes the F..Word) engines.

They seal way better anyways.

Also go to www.Kanter.com

They sale complete overhaul kits that may be cheaper.

...well at least 3 years ago when I got mine for
750,-

I wasn´t too happy with the suff from Patricks, but thats an other story.

Frank

To old to die young.
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
dirty little secret the valves and seats are not made for unleded. it is the guides that need the help. when they wear out then the valves beat the seats out.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available