Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
What are you guys running for air cleaners? I wanted to make my '72 K-20 look like it had a 4brl intake, carb and headers from the factory, and I planned on running a air cleaner housing off a small block on my carb..........Wouldn't be a problem, except I have clearance issues with my stock power brake booster........So that housing is pretty much out.......And going by our one '69 C-10 with a 250 without power brakes, and the stock intake, carb, and exhaust, it doesn't look like the stocker would even clear the booster.......What are you guys running? I may cut and weld some aluminum tubing and run the one off the small block, but I am leary of the angles that would need to happen to move it away from the booster.

Love Old '67-'72 GM Pickups! Dare to be different.....Running GM Inliners, GMC's MONSTER V-6's, and real inline power, Cummins, in Central PA.
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
I've got a 327 in my 68 and no booster. I can tell you what they did on 63-66 trucks. They have a bracket between the firewall and booster that angles the booster towards the drivers side. My 63 has a booster, but a 1 bbl, and big air cleaner. Let me know if I can get you some measurements.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Thanks Larry...........But I got the scoop on the '67-'72 Truck Board. I never seen a straight 6 in a 67-72 GM with a booster(Ours are/were all plain jane C-10's with power nothing), and I assumed that the parts innerchanged between the ones with a booster and the ones without, I was wrong.

It seems they had a different air cleaner ass'y on the ones with power brakes.......So I am going to copy one so I can run a 14" air cleaner in a stock GM ass'y and still keep it looking like it was stock.

Love Old '67-'72 GM Pickups! Dare to be different.....Running GM Inliners, GMC's MONSTER V-6's, and real inline power, Cummins, in Central PA.
R
Contributor
Contributor
R
I don't know off hand what the '72 or the '69 air cleaner looked like, but the '67 292 3/4 had an oil bath that sat across the top of the valve cover. A steel tube the size of the 1bbl air horn had a gasket, top and bottom, sat between the carb and air cleaner. I fabricated a new piece the size of the 4bbl and welded it to the air cleaner. The side hose connection for the fresh air supply for the PCV is still in the original location. You can see it connected from the new air cleaner down tube (for lack of a better name) to the front side of the valve cover.

'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Richard, that is what I have to make........Only I am going to attempt to put the ass'y for the 14" air cleaner element off a small block on top of it, and have the tube going to the carb underneith.

The original ass'y on the inline trucks without power brakes looks just like one off a truck with a SB or BBC, only a tad smaller.

G
GM Offline
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
G
Here is a shot of the overslung on my 72 Jimmy.

They are hard to come by and when you find one they aren't cheap. Luckily mine was still there when I bought the truck.

1969 Chevrolet 3/4 ton 350/400

1972 GMC Jimmy 2wd 292/200-4R
T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
I'll have to post a picture of the one I built.........It will flow alot more air than the stocker........I just hope the rail on the back of the 67-72 hood doesn't catch it, I measured it out, but didn't have much room to play in any direction. I'll find out tomorrow if I have to modify it. \:D

H
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
H
If everything else fails and you can weld or know someone who can, you could try welding the 4bbl opening from one base unto the original 6 cylinder base.It wont be 14" but it will retain the factory flavor.Good luck!

T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
 Quote:
Originally posted by hecticblasts:
If everything else fails and you can weld or know someone who can, you could try welding the 4bbl opening from one base unto the original 6 cylinder base.It wont be 14" but it will retain the factory flavor.Good luck!
I fab'ed up my own from scratch........Sits over the valve cover like a stocker, but uses a SBC filter housing ass'y and moves the air through a piece of square tube to the carb.......I put curved pieces at the two corners to smooth the flow..........Best part is I can run the 14" filter, and once I finish the welds/pre/paint it, it will look stock.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 364 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available