Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
T
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
I have a Q-Jet off a 305 SBC I was going to run on my little 250..........But decided to use a 1404 Edelbrock instead. Anyhow, I found a spread bore to square bore adapter in my parts inventory the other day I didn't even know I had, and got to thinking I may try it sometime. Would it be worth trying out? I always liked the Q-Jet from a MPG standpoint, and they always worked great for us.

Love Old '67-'72 GM Pickups! Dare to be different.....Running GM Inliners, GMC's MONSTER V-6's, and real inline power, Cummins, in Central PA.
D
Contributor
Contributor
D
I posted a simalar question a few month's ago, and there is at least one fellow inliner out there that uses one, I believe he said it was the next best thing to fuel injection.

He did make his own custom manifold for it though, and if I remember right he recomemded using one off of a mid to late 80's V-6 (like the Astro-van).

The Q-jet's were made with 2 different venturi sizes and I think the smaller size would be best.

I have one that came off of a 305 that I am going to try and use someday.

Dan

L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
I picked up a book on Q-Jets, on the recommendation of a carb expert on another board. Th book is "Rochester Quadrajet Carburetors" by Cliff Ruggles he has a web site www.cliffsqjet.com. The book is excellent, cover everything from history, how it works, rebuilding, tuning, and performance mods. The book says that all Q-jets were set up for a particular engine 305, V-6, whatever and explains how to tune it for the motor your putting it. He says this one of the reasons Q-Jets get a bad rap. I intend to run a Q-Jet on my 292 and definitely pull this book out and have it on the fender.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
B
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
B
Definitely pick up Cliff's book. Or if you want, Cliff will do up a carb for your specific application if you don't mind a bit of a wait due to a big backlog.

I frequent a Pontiac board and every one of his customers simply rave about the way his carbs run. I had him do an 800 cfm Q-jet (bigger primaries) for one of my Pontiac V8s, I can't wait to run it.

The Q-jet in both 750 and 800cfm versions came on everything from 230-cube OHC Pontiac sixes to 500-inch Caddy V8s, it is a versatile proven design. I'm surprised that they aren't more commonly used on 4-barrel inliners, I'll definitely try one on the 292 Chevy six that I'm putting together for a hot rod.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 26 guests, and 21 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available