Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
This post is really more of a follow up post to earlier threads regarding problematic rope type rear main seals in vintage GMC (*and I guess Chevies too).

I am now a few months into the Best Gaskets newest type of rear main rope seal on my 302 and am pleased to report that it is flawless! Nary a drop of oil. Best Gaskets have manufactured a new seal for these motors. It is excellent and they are to be commended on their commitment to resolving this plaguing problem for many of us with rear main ropes. What particularly impressed me with Best is that they recalled all of their existing stock in distributors and replaced it with the new seal. Most companies would just let the old stuff run out, but these guys are committed to their product for sure.

The downside to all of this of course is that now my undercarriage is beginning to rust from the lack of oil previously coming from the GMC inline "continuous undercoating system" more often found on 6-71s! \:D

Seriously folks, I now can give my strongest endorsement on this new rope seal. They manufacture these in a very tight square rope design that is graphite/teflon impregnated and it is sealed up tighter than a frog's butt now.

Very happy.

Rob English
II Member #2141

M
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
M
Rob would you please post the part number and its' applications? I think this would be extremely helpful to all the GMC guys. Also do you know if they have made this improvement across the full line of their rope seals for other make engines?

Thanks.

Mike G #4355
D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
I see in my home state Kanter carries them, but also the fact that EGGE carries them is a really good endorsement.And yours too of course. \:\) I remember your problems stopping your leak(s).

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
 Quote:
Originally posted by Mike G:
Rob would you please post the part number and its' applications? I think this would be extremely helpful to all the GMC guys. Also do you know if they have made this improvement across the full line of their rope seals for other make engines? Thanks.
Mike I do know this applies to Poncho and GMC motors and I think they have it across the board, but "BEST" to talk to them to be sure.

Part Number for the GMC Engines is 5144:

Rob English
II Member #2141

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Hi Rob, if I could ask what you may have used for the Head Gasket? I am in the beginnings of a motor pull for a 235 rebuild. I was happy to see your comments on the rear main seal. I went to the Best Gasket web page and saw the kits available there. Is the copper/ graphite head gasket the best to use? Or is a solid copper the better choice? Would be gratful for any input.
Thanks, Dominic

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 318 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available