Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#13584 12/23/06 12:45 PM
6T4Duce Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Whilst reading numerous posts on various forums the topic of fuels, octanes, and additives comes into play. I found the link below to be quite informative and interesting. What do ya think?

http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Miscellaneous/FuelAdditives.htm

#13585 12/23/06 01:18 PM
J
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
J
Well I think that someone did a lot of research to put that together. \:\)

Fuel formulation (chemistry) has been a mystery for as long as I can recall. I worked for S O Western (Chevron Inc. today) for many years and was a Chevron Dealer(1968-70)as well.

Remember F-310??

Their (Oil Co.) pitch always was; "the higher the 'octane rating' the slower & more completly it burns" therefore; the more power you can get. This inferred that it had more lead (tetraethel) etc. However (in reality) the fuel formula(s) varied with the climate/tempature and geography.

In the 50s we would 'gas up' at the beach and race at 3000'. Av-Gas was hard to get unless you had a friend that was a pilot. Most of it was stolen & had a different color. You didn't want to get caught with it, so it was just used for one race only so there wouldn't be any proof.

When the 1957 Ford 312" V-8 first came out, it would ping on regular. Rather than turn the timing back we told customers to put 5 gal 'Ethel' in first then fill with 'Regular'. It worked on every one till 'regular' reached the "higher" level around 59. Union 76 was 76 octane when it first came out around 1949.

This was all long before the EPA was created and got involved. Shortly after; there was a NEW octane rating system for automotive fuel.

We all know what happened next.

BTW: Standard Oil aka Chevron makes and sells fertalizer too. When E-85 'gets going', "the Camel's foot's in the tent". ;\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 198 guests, and 32 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave
6,788 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available