Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Before I deployed to Iraq, I had my exhaust done on my Chevelle. True duals, 2 1/4", glass packs, polished stainless steel tips. I opted for the glass packs because $$. Sounded okay, but I wasn't impressed. The sound didn't seem to fit the car. I've been "window" shopping and wanted to know what opinions you guys may have on the Flowmaster Hushpower II. I know they are pricey, but they seem to be an easy replacement for glass packs and the sound clip on their site is not too bad. Has anyone tried them or used them? Thanks all!

-Ted

D
Contributor
Contributor
D
I tested them when i got my mufflers done, they sound good on V8's but I didn't like them...too quite, I didn't like magnaflows or glasspacks. flowmaster 40 rumble like big block at idle and still raps great at like 2100-2400 rpm, you wont be disappointed, I tried them all...just my opinion

you can lead people to truth, but you can't make them see it!
D
Contributor
Contributor
D
Here is another vote for the Flowmaster 40's They are still a little loud but not in that glasspack way.(no offense to the glasspack cruiser's)

Dan

Active BB Member
Active BB Member
Yet another vote yes for the Flow 40s. Win lots of beers when I lift the hood with the cam/header and Flowmaster 40 combo. Mines only a 194 to. Most guess small block V-thingee at idle.

J
Contributor
Contributor
J
How does a flowmaster 40 and single exhaust sound?

I
Contributor
Contributor
I
If you can find a cheap X pipe, Id give that a shot, since youve got the duals ran.

I know it really quieten'd down my inline engine, for the most part, knocked the buzz right out of it. Im using turbo mufflers, hair quieter than the glasspacks to begin with.

It also give me back low end grunt, it was so noticable it wasnt even funny.

JasonS

Try www.exhaustsoundclips.com you might be able to find an inline exhaust clip of some sort, just remember, in reality it will sound a little bit different. I know there was a clip of a ford 300 using a single flowmaster40.

One time I along with a few others posted some soundclips on here, I dont recall what they were, maybe you'd like to search my old posts and see, it was titled "more I-6 videos".

D
Contributor
Contributor
D
i suspect that it will sound almost the same, but you wont get that awesome rap at like 2100-2400rpm which is what most are seeking, when mine was single, it sounded good, but did not pop at all when reved up, and it will not be as loud either, when mine was single exhaust, it was deeper, but not as loud, if you want a deep loud rumble at idle, and that imfamous pop when wound up then try "the original" flowmaster 40's, call around and see if there is a shop local that will let you test mufflers out before you buy, you know, they cut the pipe, and slip the muffler on and let you run it for a 45 seconds to a minute, and see what you like, thats why i chose flowmasters...it wasnt based on something someone "SAID" it was what I heard for myself, but to each his own, i tried real glasspacks, cherrybombs, magnaflows, borlas, and turbo mufflers, the flowmasters sounded the best!

you can lead people to truth, but you can't make them see it!
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
Thanks All for your overwhelming concensus. I kind of had that in mind anyway. When I first bought my car, the first thing I did was get the exhaust redone to include the "original" flowmaster 40 (single exhaust) and it sounded great. I'm glad to see you guys sticking to your guns. I just thought that the Hushpower would be good because of the size and shape is closer to a glasspack (easier to make the change). It would be nice if Flowmaster made the 40 with the inlet and outlet on the same side versus offcenter. Thanks again for your responses.

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Hey Ted . . .

You got a bandsaw and welder? Flowmasters are pretty much symmetrical - you could cut the body on either end and flop the inlet/outlet 180 degrees to where you want it.

regards,
stock49

[Linked Image from 49fastback.com]
T
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
T
On my modified 302 GMC powered 37 Chevy truck,I used a Flowmaster Delta series 40 muffler,3 inch single exhaust system.It was way too loud for my tastes,even at idle it sounded like an open pipe.I switched over to a Flowmaster "Big Block" muffler,I forget the series,but it's a lot less noise and unwanted attention.
My engine has 9.5-1 compression,fairly rowdy cam and short tube headers which I believe increases the noise coming out the ehxaust although generally, a single pipe tends to be quieter than duals.
I have a short sound video of my 37 Chevy with the Flowmaster 40 muffler,I don't know how to post it on the Internet for viewing,but I can email it to someone who can post it for viewing and listening.
In comparison,I also have a 50 Chevy pu with a stock 235,2 inch single pipe.I got a Magnaflow turbo type welded muffler on it,barely more noise than the stock one.

70 Triumph 650 cc ECTA current record holder

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 364 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available