Print Thread
Rate Thread
#14525 03/04/07 01:01 PM
I
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
Hey gang!! Can anyone tell me what is the best carb. to put on a 1955 straight six 235.5 engine (over-bored to 255 CID)???

The original 1 bbl Rochchester BC carb. has had it's last re-build! I would like to put in a NEW Carbuetor that has an electric choke / will fit the stock intake manifold without any adapters / is as new as possible (for the best performance improvements) / increases horsepower through improved fuel vaporization and gets decent fuel economy!!! I know, tall order!!!

a mechanic told me of his 1961 truck with an identical 235 inline six like mine. He said he replaced his stock carb. with a "CARTER/WEBER 2 Barrel Carburetor w/an ELECTRIC CHOKE!!!! It mounted directly on the stock intake manifold with no problems!!! He claims that ever since, his engine performs extremly well, is econominal and the electric choke makes starting the engine a pleasure with great reliability, almost as good as a brand new car, very dependable!!!!!

So what do you EXPERTS think????
Is there a better carb that'll fit the stock manifold w/an electric choke?? I just want a dependable car!!! This 55 chevy was passed down from my grandpa to me and then on to my son!! It is a daily driver, a grocery getter and an all around Cruisier!!

Please help me get my 55 back on the road where she belong's!!!

\:\) MANY THANKS!!!! \:\)

;\) ;\) ISLANDMAN ;\) ;\)

F
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
F
I have been running the Holley/Weber 2 bbl with electric choke from Langdon's Stovebolt Engine Co on my 56-235 in my 54 truck. Walt 1940 is correct in that it mounts on an adaptor, requires a modified linkage, also a 12v choke conversion from the water heated choke, and Tom sells a slick little air cleaner that has an adaptor plate for the odd shaped top. The total cost is only a few bucks more than a rebuilt Rochester.

Performance wise....it was spectacular out of the box! My 56-235 had never idled or run like it did with the Holley/Weber. I just went to a dual Offy setup...a pair of Carter/Webers (lower CFM) on my 235....same story...out of the box they performed flawlessly. They will go on my freshly rebuilt 1960-235.

I have some detailed pics of the H/W carb as well as the Carter/Weber linkage and modified plumbing in my webshots "shoebox" and "tips and tricks" . Check them out...give Tom L. a call and you won't be disappointed! Hope this helps.

Dave

http://community.webshots.com/user/Fla54Chevy3100 "What this generation tolerates, the next will embrace"
I
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
\:\) \:\) HEY THANKS FOR RESPONDING!!!! \:\) \:\)

I guess the carburetor doesn't NEED an electric choke, i was just told that on older cars (40's-50's) they're much more reliable/dependable than the other choke systems

I just want as "new" a carburetor as possible that'll fit without adapters. Ideally i'd like to be able to go down to the auto parts store, down the road and just pick up an "in-stock" carb that'll fit & improve the inlines performance and reliability!!!

Is that possible??? Or do i have to order stuff from the states and wait & wait & wait until they clear customs and so on...

This is our only car and we need her back fast!
Any idea's?? Or am i screwed!!

On a different note: i also have to replace the stock gas tank & sending unit! I could order stock replacments but you know how i hate to do that... Could i replace these components with a gas tank w/sending unit from a donor car or from a "newer" car & parts junkyard??

The tank would be new, clean and have the sending unit already installed plus coming from a recently new car the parts would be superior to stock. \:D

Any thoughts on this?????

\:\) THANKS FOR THE HELP!!! \:\)

I
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
\:\) \:\) HEY, THANKS "WALT 1940"!!!! \:\) \:\)

No way without an adapter eh? O.K., if i can't get a new carb then i guess i'll have to stick with getting an older carb. like you suggested. Is there really no chance of bolting on at least a 2 barrel onto the stock manifold. I'd heard that it's at least marginally better than a 1 bbl., and what year of chevy would you recommend to get for the best replacment carb. (for 1 bbl or 2 bbl)??? (maybe '69 rochester??, before the anti-pollution add-ons?)

Just in case anybody out there might know a great fuel tank replacement, i've included the original's dimensions! :

(23" long x 22" wide x 8" high/deep)

Thanks for all the help!!!
Still with a sliver of hope....

\:D \:\) ISLANDMAN!! \:\) \:D

I
Contributor
Contributor
I
Any chance you have access to a machinist, maybe you could make your own adapter there, then bypass the customs problems. Just need a gasket for the 1bbl carb and one for the 2bbl carb, which your gonna need anyway, you can use walts link(picture) as reference, luckily, its not that complex.

Good luck

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Try a Carter "YF" from a Ford 300

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
You should really look into the Holley/Weber that Tom Langdon sells. It's probably the most affordable option. You're looking at MAYBE $150 for a new/refurbished carb, linkage, and adapter. You'll spend at least that much for any carb at your FLAPS, then you'll still need to figure out how to mount it and hook it up.
I got the H/W from Langdon's, and am happy with it's out-of-the-box, no-fuss operation on my stock '59 235.
I think I've read that there are better adapters for a similar price out there.
Alternatively, http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1121285,parttype,5904
Good luck!

I
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I
\:\) THANKS GUYS!!! \:\)

\:D The "Holly/Weber" set-up does seem to be the way to go!! I've looked over the pictures of "walt 1940" , and agree it looks awesome!! The only thing i'm concerned about is the plumbing. The copper pipes under the intake manifold, for instance. I know enough of the "why's", but not enough of "how-to's!!" I hope there's a very good and complete installation manual that comes with the parts/kit!! (especially in regards to the choke).

I checked into cleaning and sealing the fuel tank, but the cost was way more than a replacment tank(new), $379.00 canadian!!! So i guess i'll have to buy new or try and find a used "new" tank from a junkyard! A replacment tank ordered from "danchuk's" is around $180.00 u.s.! I'm also looking into local shops to do the replacment and possibily the carb; as when i tried to remove the 52 year old tank i couldn't get the stupid fill tube to loosen off!! The rope seal or something is seized!!! I don't have the proper tools and hoist needed i guess. Better to let a shop do it, on this one i think!

Anyways, thanks for all your input!!!

This is a great site for help!!

\:\) \:\) Islandman \:\) \:\)

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (53chevy), 55 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available