Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I am finishing up my engine and dropped the distributor last night, everything went great, but maybe I'm blind, but I don't see a place on the external HEI Coil to plug in the hot wire from the firewall. I connected the distributor's two wire connector into the only two connectors I see on the coil, and there doesn't seem to be any piggy back or other conectors there.. If I am blind just tell me to look again...

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
i puta external coil hei on my 250. best i remember it has a couple of places i think i put like a female end for a spade electric connector on. i used another location for the tach. i think it was on side most toward engine and the firewall end. i can look in the morning when i get off work.

Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I must've been blind last night, I pulled the two wire connector off and it was hiding four prongs on the coil, just didn't notice the other two because they were so symmetrical or something haha. I got it connected now. Thanks tho!

'
Contributor
Contributor
'
Don't feed your HEI off the yellow wire from the starter. That one has a temperature sensitive resistor wire inline with feed from the firewall bulkhead connector. It will fire at 12 VDC initially, but as the wire heats up resistance increases and voltage drops to 7 - 9 VDC to save conventional points. HEIs must have a constant 12 VDC. A 10 gauge wire from Ignition Unfused on the inside cab fuse block is the way to feed the HEI (+) terminal.
Hope this helps and I'm not telling you something you know already.

I/I #4101
'71 GMC Jimmy 350, sm465, np205,3.73 posi.
'68 C/10 Stepside 292 (.030 over) Offy Intake, 500 CFM AFB,Clif headers, sm465, 3.73 posi.
'67 K/10 454 project.
'72 K/5 rolling frame project.
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
I had a 350 with HEI in it before this engine so it had already been converted over. Not much of my wiring is OEM any more haha... Yellow wire? what yellow wire, they're all red! hehe... I think I am running it from the ignition switch or the fuse box, can't remember how I had done it now, but it's good \:\) Thanks though!

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 20 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available