Page 2 of 2 1 2
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
 Quote:
Originally posted by jmoran:
Ratatat; What brand is the breather on the valve cover? It's exactly what i am looking for. By the way. One sweet looking 216. Thumbs up from the north shore of Lake Erie.

Cheers!!!
I have no clue,it was on a Sharp valve cover I have.I will not be using it on this car.

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
 Quote:
Originally posted by Bamadirt:
Ratatat:
Very nice looking ride, your attention to detail is amazing! Although I probably shouldn't be here as Mr Merideth might degrade me for my lack of automotive excellence as my only project to be completed has more rust and no smooth surfaces in the paint ( I didn't do it!) and may dismiss me as I have an absolute blast driving my 69 C10!
Again, R, Nice ride. I hope when I get my uncle's 40 Chevy I can keep it that clean!

Ted
Thank's!

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
heres some new pics,hope tp fire it up this week.

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Very cool plumbing idea for the carb heat.And very neat and tight installs all thru your engine.Looks terrific.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Very nice work! Wish I could fix my own plumbing. Don't let the copper thieves find it. ;\)

Martin
'64 Nova wagon
'69 C10
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
Ok, I guess I shouldn't make what might appear as a negative post as my first post without and introduction.
I have been a car nut since the age of 12 that equals 48 years with a nose in the car rags or building some sort of rod or custom.
I graduated from a vocational Auto mechanics school in 1967 and worked as a mechanic in both Texas and Washington state. I also taught Vocational Auto mechanics at the high school level for 13 years.
The first rod trot that I and the 48 were participants in was the Tulsa NSRA Nationals in 1973. With a Chevy II 194 6 under the hood.

Nice looking engine but like John Meridith I believe you are looking for trouble with those sediment bowls. Some times folks get too caught up in the thing of "that's what they had back then so that's what I have to have". They would do a lot better as decorations on the shelf with a quality modern filter tucked away down close to the fuel pump.
Also In one of your first shots it appears that there is a copper line running from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. If that is the case it should be changed to steel.
The copper plumbing on the waterlines is cute but does not belong on a car. That will not hold up to vibration if you actually intend to drive the car any distance.
Like John, I would rather be viewed as being a bit critical of things that I don't see as safe than read how your car was destroyed by an engine fire or you cooked the engine on the freeway because one of the soldered joints cracked in the cooling line.

1948 Chev pickup.
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Hey, Mr48 I like your post. Over on the hamb board, some of the guys get all bent out of shape if you are critical about a project on your first post even though you are correct. I think your advice is great. I hope those here take your comments as good advice and not criticism - I know I would. Kudos to you.

Tom
I.I. #1475
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Mr48,your concerns were noted but everything will stay the same.I have a buddy that has ran copper tubing with joints for over ten years with no problems.As far as the filters,they work just fine,I have had them on all my old cars with zero problems,not saying you wont have them,but just got to be on top off stuff.There is risk in life,just like doing 100+mph down a 1/4 mile dragstrip(no chance of catching on fire there :rolleyes: ) but I dont tell people not to do it.The funny thing is that you guy's describe it as if the second I start the car it will burst into flames.Thanks for your concerns though.

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
oh yeah,about the statement "quality modern filter",I bet you are also one of the guys that say's
"they dont build stuff like they use to" \:D

just funnin,thanks for the input.

Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Methinks the title of this thread should be changed to "What's your POSITIVE opinion on this 216"

Certain things work better in certain circumstances than others. You asked opinions on these photographs and some guys that are knowledgable stepped up. I counted almost 40 joints (on the fuel and intake heat) that have the potential to leak. All that is being said is that given their experience, odds are that you are going to have trouble somewhere. I dont think anybody is trying to pimp you on it.

Its your car - do as you please

Tom
I.I. #1475
M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
Actually I don't often say they don't make them like they used to very often.
As 6Inarow said above it is your car to do as you please with.

As for the copper lines, they are not recommended for automotive use nor are they recommended for use where vibration is present.
I won't comment on the appearance of the soldered fittings. We can wait for the spectators at the rod trots to point that out their friends and make the comments. I don't think you will start a trend though.
As for the filter, Yes I do recommend running a modern high performance filter.
One of the reasons that these cars only went 35 or 4o k before a rebuild or at least a ring and valve job back when was the fact that they didn't have the best of fuel and oil filter systems.

1948 Chev pickup.
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
 Quote:
Originally posted by 6inarow:
Methinks the title of this thread should be changed to "What's your POSITIVE opinion on this 216"
thats just an ignorant post.I was really respectfull and said thanks that I noted what they said but YOU guys did not like that I failed to agree with your opinions and did not run out to the garage and do it YOUR WAY.I had a valid argument,we have ran both sediment bowls and copper tubing with out any problems,but it was not good enough for you.Typical know it all's,get lippy when when challenged.Im done.

M
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
M
I full and well realize that your question was in relation to the concept of "does this look old school enough?"

Yes maybe the house plumbing has worked for 10 years on your buddies car but how many miles a year does he drive and what distances?
I wouldn't trust it. And no it wasn't something that the hot lick guys did in the "old" days.
I could see using the copper as a pattern to have a shop that can bend the correct size stainless tubing bend up a set of stainless lines for the car.
The general concept in building a fuel line setup is to use the minimum of fittings and connections to lessen the chances of leaks.
The sediment bowls most likely will leak a bit over time. probably not enough to cause problems before you catch it though. My issue with them is that they just do not do a great job of filtering the fuel. As John said, they mostly caught the bigger particals.
We all like the rest of the stuff you have done with the engine. We can also understand that you don't like our comments even though they are more about safety and the health of the engine than appearance.
I do appreciate getting the vendor for the engine paint as the orange on the 292 I have for the 48 has to go. I want to start an uproar of a different sort when I do the late engine up to somewhat appear to be an early engine. Period correct engine paint, finned aluminum and no billet.

1948 Chev pickup.
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
 Quote:
Originally posted by Ratatatat:
..I was really fishing for compliment's more than anything,but once again thank's.
Then you tell me my post is ignorant??? Did you forget you posted this earlier?

Tom
I.I. #1475
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
next

T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
im going to have to say the car and motor look great build it how u want i am building a 55 210 with air ride and an inline 235 right now, and i hope when i get the body back on the frame it looks as good as ur car does

W
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
W
well this novice has read all the comments...good comments...but for this novice I think it looks cool! I'm especially interested in your dual carb set up. I have a 1964 impala with a 230. I just purchased a holley weber progressive carb from tim langdon. I will put that on the 230 for now, but would like to put a 2x2 intake on it. I'm interested to know where you got those air cleaners? I have very little air cleaner clearance both vertical and width.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If difference of opinion makes horse races you guys should be lining up in the gates! I've been runnig copper lines on my pick-up for over 30 years. No leaks! He said he was ready to "fire" it . If he's wrong maybe the water leaks will put out the flames! This is a great looking engine/car and looks to be well done. I'm sure enough has been made of this that ratatat will keep a close eye on it . Rat thanks for keeping the 216, they are great engines. Whth that low milage I bet yours still has shims left! Take short cuts and you'll never see these guys. It makes me smile!!!

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If difference of opinion makes horse races you guys should be lining up in the gates! I've been runnig copper lines on my pick-up for over 30 years. No leaks! He said he was ready to "fire" it . If he's wrong maybe the water leaks will put out the flames! This is a great looking engine/car and looks to be well done. I'm sure enough has been made of this that ratatat will keep a close eye on it . Rat thanks for keeping the 216, they are great engines. Whth that low milage I bet yours still has shims left! Take short cuts and you'll never see these guys. It makes me smile!!!

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Am I repeating myself again? Just click once stuped!

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
thanks BOTP,some great words!I dig the 216's,everybody does the 235 conversion and get's a bit boring after a while.Dont get me wrong,I love 235's but 216 are ace in my book.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I meant't ask about the connections for the water to the manifold. Not what they're made of, thats been covered, but where they connect. I have an Edmunds two 1bbl set up for my 270. I didn't want it to only flow when the heater was on. It's a nice old set up with two Zenith carbs and small oil bath filters that I'll fit with quality modern filters. I want to get rid of the 4bbl. Thanks again BOTP!

H
Contributor
Contributor
H
Your copper lines remind me of the coolest 'FUEL' lines I've ever seen, done in same stuff just smaller, maybe 1/4 or 5/16"? This guy had six carbs on a V8, the fuel lines were built from copper with fittings as you have done, then CHROMED, WOW a work of art. No bulky fittings to deal with, very simple, and neat as a pin.
Kudos for your originality and craftsmanship.
Jaime of Oltruck, CA
P.S. I saw one of these intakes with the return line 'T'd into the hole for the temp sender, just food for thought.

Jim, I.I. #173
(It's easier to get forgiveness than permission!)
R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
 Quote:
Originally posted by Beater of the Pack:
I meant't ask about the connections for the water to the manifold. Not what they're made of, thats been covered, but where they connect. I have an Edmunds two 1bbl set up for my 270. I didn't want it to only flow when the heater was on. It's a nice old set up with two Zenith carbs and small oil bath filters that I'll fit with quality modern filters. I want to get rid of the 4bbl. Thanks again BOTP!
They are T'd so it will always flow.

R
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Thanks HiTork!

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Ratatatat, Where is this car now? Did it burn up yet? Does it still have a 216?

H
Newcomer
Newcomer
H
Great looking when i figure this computer out i'm posting pic's of my drop top 51 with a 292. not as clean as yours but coming along

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Here is a young guy we chased off. This was a beautiful car. I wonder where it is now?
Does anyone have a pair of those air cleaners laying around?

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 10/12/13 04:04 PM.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 276 guests, and 44 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available