Print Thread
Rate Thread
M
Mark Offline OP
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
M
I got these pictures from a right coast event, and cannot for the life of me remember who made these.

Can anyone shed some light on the subject?
Thanks

Proud card carrying member of Inliners International #1318
D
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
D
This is Steve Orrison's wonderfully well-preserved '52 Chevrolet BelAir hardtop, built in the day, with a homemade intake manifold. It has been featured in the *12-Port News*. On this site, click on "Reader's Rides" and then on "Previous Postings." You'll find your picture of Steve's engine there; the car is misidentified as a '50.

God's Peace to you.

d
Inliner #1450

D
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
D
Definitely that is Steve O's car probably taken at the annual Mid-Atlantic spring Inliner, Jack Halton Memorial at EMMR.The cast down runners come from a later model motor, but I can't remember which. Hopefully, Steve will check in and respond.

Drew
Mid-Atlantic Chapter
T
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
T
I'd sure like to make something like this!

1953 2dr 150 with '59 261
1964 Bel Air with stock ~69 230
1961 Biscayne with stuck 235
tore up '53 235
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
When I first looked at these, I thought of the air cooled VW after market intakes for Webers, Dellorto, and many 1bbls carbs. The later Vws were a dual port head, not sure what runner looked like for the 1 bbl. The mount to the manifold would be 90 degrees from those pictured above. They would also be taller by ??. Found a set on;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-dual-ca...1QQcmdZViewItem

Just some thinking.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever
S
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
S
Mark, the intake manifold is stock with a Gotha system welded to it. The Gotha system were advertised in very early Hot Rod magazine circa 1954-1957 and was a kit that cost $5.95,they had conversions for flathead 8s, flathead 6s, an overhead valve L6 and 8s. The last time I saw one was at Hershey swap meet and it was selling for $65.00 from a gentleman from the Atlanta Speed Shop. It come's with a center block-off plate and Two bungs with flanges. The intake manifold with conversion is bolted to a 54 Corvette dual exhaust manifold. The carbs are Holley 1904 from an International truck engine with larger butterflys than you would find for that same series carb in a passenger car. The air horns of the carbs were put in a drill press with a hole saw to cut the v-clamp flanges off, so you can use a standard aftermarket air cleaner. The cast riser's are from GM (part #3845535) and are from a mid to late 60's motorhome. I had Rochester carbs on the car when I first got it, but they leaked inside and out. The car has been lots of fun when I have time to take it out.

Really appreciate the interest,
Steve O #1623
Mid Atlantic Chapter

Contributor
Contributor
the vw intakes aren't a true 90. they're more like a 45.

"The first rule of overkill: You can never have too much overkill."
"Overkill is underrated."
L
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
L
My pardons, I was referring to the mount to between the manifolds. The Gotha system has the mounting bolts perpendicular to the engine. The VWs would be parallel to the engine. The VWs might require some additional support. The Gotha system looks real good, I'm not sure the VWs would that good.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement