D
should read "I wouldnt be surprised if this was the cure"

#16387 09/30/07 09:21 AM
F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
Good mornin guys,,yesterday went like this,,, got the oil changed,, had to be done anyway,,,struggled through walmart,, got the oil,,
Start engine,, taste water blowing from exuast,, not antifreeze,, with rad cap off, watched,,water did flow as the stat opened, and as I brought the rpm's up the level sucked down,, put cap back on still the 13lb,, got the 16, but need to build a tank,,
without hesitating the car climbed right up to 230,,,stock pulley, stock fan,,
I completly removed the manifold heater lines from the loop,,, still got hot,,
this time my Dad is here,, wants to know if the timings to far advanced,,at idle it is at 6degree advanced,, could this be to much??? if I lower it the cam sounds great, but to get the car to idle, I'll have to bring up the idle, if I go to far the venturie blades will start to crack past the port for the vacume advance and add at idle, the idle mixture screws, once you get them so far out ,they dont change mixture, the tips of the screws are already clear of the idle down tubes,,
Today is small pulley back on with flex fans,,
Also I talked to the rad people, US Radiator,, he asked if I have a open space between my rad support and the grill,,some cars have a plastic or rubber cover,I have seen that,, He said that was so the engine didn't start a convection process,,(circulating heat over the rad support to the rad,) I fabbed up some cardboard blocking,,didn't make a difference, \:\(

#16388 09/30/07 11:10 AM
F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
O.K> 10:15,, small pulley back on, and flex fan,,,seems like there is more airflow,,I think the difference can be told placing hand in front of rad and cooler,,, Idled, still climbed temp,, I borrowed one of those laser temp guns,,(seems hokey to me), watching the coolant in the rad is confusing me,,flow maybe, at other times it seems to just sit there,,,??? laser temp 165,, shoot the thermo housing 212,, the upper rad hose on this thing is 8" long tops,, how does coolant drop temp that fast,,it comes out of the housing right into top tank,, I'm thinkin its time to look at the stat. again.. how about a clear upper rad hose,,so I can see more,,??

#16389 09/30/07 01:59 PM
F
Contributor
OP Offline
Contributor
F
O.K,, now it's 1:00,, took thermostat out,,boiled on stove,,,it practically had to boil to crack the stat, and it opened kinda crooked, this is a mr gasket high flow thing, so it has like a dog dish on the bottom that travels downward,,manually the thing opens giant,, but in the water it opened maybe the thickness of a quarter,,mmmm,, test the stock one it works, put that back in motor,,clear rad hose is on,,
Start engine, idles, 160 degree some bubbles traveling through hose,,around 180, whosh it fully opened,, water temp plummets 160, and slowwly starts to rise,,idled around 10-15 min, got up to 205,, lower hood, something stuck, it won't close,, I put my hand up under the hood to feel around,, and it is like a blast furnace, forcing air over the core support,,(U.S. rad guy mentioned this),, opened hood, I left the hookup for the timing light in the way,, after cleared I shut the hood,, and jammed my fingers up in the grill,,there is a suprising amount of heat blowing over still,wrapping right into the rad path,, I took some pipe insul and strecthed it across the support, shut the hood now you can actually feel the coolness of air going past when I jamb my fingers in,,,I was able to get the temp down to 197 quicker than ever by giving it some r's (1500),,maybe I'm getting somewhere here, I sure...SURE..hope so..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 35 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Ehb86, OldFord777, Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil
6,789 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available